Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently built my pc with 6GB of ram using three 2GB cards and for whatever reason 2 gigabytes of ram is being set aside for VRAM. I learned this because i checked my System in the control panel and my ram is marked as 6.00GB(3.96 usable). When i check the video ram amount in DxDiag i get 3803Mb of ram. I tried using msconfig to set the max ram to 6144 but after restarting the pc it immediately switches back to 2GB. If i uncheck the box it goes to 0 but i still get this problem.

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
Brand & Model of Mobo-CPU-RAM-GPU-PSU?
Brand/specs of the 3x2GB of RAM?
If the Mobo is not Triple Channel, try removing the odd third stick.

·
TSF - Enthusiast
7,670 Posts
Isn't this a default characteristic of Windows? When system memory is being under utilized, Windows will make a portion of it available for use by the video sub-system.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
RAM: Hynix 1333mhz(dont know the model)
CPU: AMD FD6300WMHKBOX
GPU: Asus HD7770-2GD5
PSU: Seasonic M12II 620 Bronze

No its not default, this ram was being used in a previous system(Dell Inspiron 570) and it used all 6 gigabytes. If anything it should be getting put under more stress since i raised my settings on most games. My motherboard is up to dual channel but i think this ram is even dual channel. Instead its just 3 sticks of single channel.

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
Using the 3 sticks and Single Channel degrades performance on a Dual Channel Mobo.

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
Dual Channel Mode commonly requires a matched pair of RAM.
Do you need more than 4GB of RAM? Few games/apps can utilize over 3GB.
If you need more RAM, a matched pair of G.Skill or Corsair 2x4GB 1600MHz would be suitable for the GA-990FXA-UD3.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a set of dual channel ram selected and i play certain games like Planetside 2. When i play this the usage(according to the Windows 7 widget) is at 96-100%. I dont know if this is the beset way to measure usage in fact if someone knows of a good usage counter for pc hardware i'd appreciate a link or something. Im thinking about getting this ram: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL - Newegg.com. Either this ram or the 1866 version of it.

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
No its not default, this ram was being used in a previous system(Dell Inspiron 570) and it used all 6 gigabytes.
Maybe your previous system's on-board graphics/dedicated GPU did not require much RAM.

I'd still go with Tyree and try dual-channel RAM.

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
Have you tried using only the 2x2GB?
If you need more RAM, go with 2x4GB.
Is the 1866 is cheaper than 1600? No performance gain will be realized using 1866.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As of now the 1600 is cheaper because its on sale, so ill probably get it. No i havent tried take one of the sticks out but maybe ill try it later today. AS for the dedicated GPU on the previous motherboard, i never used it. i always used the external 7770, before that i used a external HD6450 both of which have 2GB of vRam and the pc still ran all 6 perfectly fine.

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
What worked on another PC isn't really relevant as no two PC's, regardless of their similarities, will behave exactly alike.
I would again suggest trying the 2x2GB, to take advantage of Dual Channel Mode and it's performance advantage, before purchasing a 2x4GB pair.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.