Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I own a rather old PC with Win98 installed. Yet it runs fine enough.
But when I leave it alone for awhile (more than say 30 minutes, for example when downloading somerthing), and then try to work on it again, everything slows down to a crawl. When I click something, it takes ages to load. If I try for several minutes, sometimes it gets a little bit better. And sometimes it gets worse to a point where anything won't go anymore. The harddrive light still flashes from time to time but nothing happens.
I played around a bit with the power management options to see if the PC goes in some kind of energy saving mode. But without success.
What is the problem? And can I do something about it? Please help!

· Registered
6,197 Posts
welcome to tsf

run cleanup from the link below , also try house call, spybot and ewido possibly to rule out any malware/virus infection.. update all before using.

how much ram is installed presently?
has the case been cleaned out recently from dust and hair?
hard disk clean and defrag are good maintanence features to do regularly also.
post back

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the quick response!

i will try the links you posted.
ram is 64 mb.
and what is the best way to clean the case?

what i consider the strange thing about my problem is that the computer works just fine after booting. and it works just fine if i use it for a couple of hours. the problem just occurs when i don't touch it for some time while it stays on.
i can't imagine what could cause this.

· Registered
18,185 Posts
I like to use a vacuum to clean my computers, but for some that may not work due to static. It's very humid where I live so it's almost a non-issue.

I start with the case itself. I clean around any intakes and near the case mounted fans. They sure can get nasty! I also focus around the drives and any ports on the case as they often collect dust from allowing air to flow through. Once I'm content with that I go onto the hardware. I start at the CPU and clean the fan blades and heat sink. There is also often bits of bust on the RAM because it's located so close. The nearby capacitors also get grimy. I go around back and clean dust from the ports to top it off. At the end I blast it with air (not pressurized, though) to get any dust that may have been stirred and resettled during cleaning.

· Registered
6,197 Posts
eback, i also use a vac and i would use canned air, radio schack and other stores have it. even some chain drug stores have it.

i would consider adding more ram to your machine. but if it requires pc100/133 you will find out that its more expensive now than standard ram thats out in the field. even if you could get 64 more, it would help.

[ hoping your power supply isnt heating up dragging the system down after a couple of hours ]

clean it good, unplug it first
lastly keep up on your virus/spy protection

good luck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.