Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help so that i can show my mum how to sort out her pc. When she starts up and tries to run the cursor freezes and the pc locks some times for long periods, it seems that there is constantly some thing runnig in the background. She has pc-cillin running as a virus checker and i have turned this off but it still occurs. Another problem is that at random times the pc will just switch off and reboot which is a pain as she then has to re-log onto the net again manually. I have run different ad-aware and registry programes but nothing seems to stop it. Please make any help as easy as possible as i will have to teach her how to do it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Sounds like either an overheating problem or memory problem.

Have the PC cleaned out of dust make sure all the fans are running....re-seat the memory card.

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
welcome to tsf
sounds like you have spyware and or viruses
run housecall from the link below if you are able to get on line.
adaware se and ewido will also help.
She has pc-cillin running as a virus checker
:4-thatsba

the security section here have some talented techs to help you

good luck and post back

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice chaps and i have tried them all and no problems found hence i still have the same problem. As quoted we do have full pc-cillin running and also Ad-Aware SE profesional and Ad-Watch SE profesional these are on from start up. When Ad-Aware checks out all processes runing at start it states that there are 28 running is this too many and if so how do i cancel and which ones. Ihave also run PCBugDoctor although this found and fixed some problems it did not resolve the main one's.It has taken me over 20 mins to get this site up and write this reply because of the cursor freezinf, strugling to fully load a page and the pc rebooting it's self. I am now strugling to stop my mother from throwing it out of the window HELP !!!!!!!!. :4-dontkno

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
start-run- type msconfig
it will show you running and startup processes..which you can then stop if you like
why dont you post a hyjack log in the hyjack section of this forum
the hyjack download link is below

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have been following advise of what checks to make and things to do before sending a hijackthis log and the first step of running Ad-Aware using custom scan after making the suggested changes failed to run right through it seemed to struggle when scanning .CAB files (is this normal) and the pc would reboot before the end, this has now happened 3 times. Should i download hijackthis and post a log or should i persivere with all the checks as suggested in the "read this before posting a hijackthis log" section of the forum.

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
15,478 Posts
Bad memory or a bad power supply will cause a pc to reboot sporadically

Another problem is that at random times the pc will just switch off and reboot which is a pain as she then has to re-log onto the net again manually.
You may be having a power supply issue. Do you have another to try?

Als Run a [url="http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp#top?]Windows Memory Diagnostic Test [/url]

The Windows Memory Diagnostic tests the Random Access Memory (RAM) on your computer for errors. The diagnostic includes a comprehensive set of memory tests. If you are experiencing problems while running Windows, you can use the diagnostic to determine whether the problems are caused by failing hardware, such as RAM or the memory system of your motherboard. Windows Memory Diagnostic is designed to be easy and fast. On most configurations, you can download the diagnostic, read the documentation, run the test and complete the first test pass in less than 30 minutes.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
whosdat said:
at this point, post a hyjack log
good luck
I have downloaded and run a scan and saved the log file onto my hard drive but the next problem is i can't find to download the analyzer what do i do now.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Geekgirl said:
Bad memory or a bad power supply will cause a pc to reboot sporadically

You may be having a power supply issue. Do you have another to try?

Als Run a [url="http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp#top?]Windows Memory Diagnostic Test [/url]

The Windows Memory Diagnostic tests the Random Access Memory (RAM) on your computer for errors. The diagnostic includes a comprehensive set of memory tests. If you are experiencing problems while running Windows, you can use the diagnostic to determine whether the problems are caused by failing hardware, such as RAM or the memory system of your motherboard. Windows Memory Diagnostic is designed to be easy and fast. On most configurations, you can download the diagnostic, read the documentation, run the test and complete the first test pass in less than 30 minutes.
I have tried the link for Windows Memory Diagnostic but it wont connect so i can't carry out the scan.

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
15,478 Posts
When in Safe Mode click Start/Run and type in msconfig
Click the Startup tab and look for anything suspicious running. Also go into Add/Remove Programs and look for and toolbars eg. MySearch/MyWay or anything oout of ordinary.

You can post a HJT log in the security section, one of our anlyst will look it over to see if you have spyware/malware issues.

Download and install: HiJackThis.

(Always create a Folder for HiJackThis anywhere but your Temp/Temporary Internet Folders or Desktop. A good place to make a folder would be in My Documents, as this is where it will save the backup files needed if there's a problem.)

Then doubleclick HijackThis.exe, and hit "Do A System Scan And Save Log". Make sure all Windows and Browsers are closed.
When the scan is finished, best to save your text file in the same folder as where you put HiJackthis.

IMPORTANT!!!
Create a New Topic and include a fresh HJT log in the HiJackThisLog Help Forum and Copy/Paste the info from your saved Hijackthis log file into your new topic.

A Moderator/ Security Team Analyst will give you instructions.

***DO NOT TRY TO FIX ANYTHING, MAJOR DAMAGE CAN BE DONE TO YOUR SYSTEM IF THIS TOOL IS USED INCORRECTLY, PLEASE WAIT FOR AN ANALYST/MODERATOR TO GIVE YOU INSTRUCTIONS***

Always describe your problem and any programs you have used to try to resolve your issue. Your description can go a long way to solving/repairing your particular issue.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.