Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright so, I've been having this issue for a couple of days now and I have been searching far and wide for solutions and fixes but none of them seemed to have worked. My issue is at random times my PC will just lock up and freeze. I could be doing anything from just browsing reddit to streaming and playing csgo which is a pain because that makes it even harder for me to determine the problem. Although I have noticed I can trigger it good if I; Restart my pc after a freeze, immediately turn on csgo as soon as pc boots up and jump on reddit or a stream at the same time. That seems to make it freeze really fast sometimes I can't even get back into the csgo game before it freezes again. The issue all started when my Western Blue HDD blocked on me. After it blocked I removed it and went out and bought a new one, I also bought an asus wifi stick, logitech cam, and corsair 2100's. I've ruled all of these out as I've run the the system and gamed with all of them unplugged and it would still freeze. I've also unplugged my new Western Blue HDD and it still froze. I've done a full fresh install of windows 8.1 on my SSD and it still freezes so now I'm stumped.

My specs:

• AMD FX-9590 4.7GHz 8-Core Processor
  • Gigabyte GA-990 F X A-UD3 AM3+ Motherboard
  • G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB DDR3 1600
  • Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
  • Samsung 850 EVO 2.5" 250GB SATA 3 SSD
  • Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB Video Card
  • Rosewill Hive 750W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply
  • Corsair H100i CPU Liquid Cooler

Peripherals:

• Razer Ouroborus
  • Razre Blackwidow
  • Corsair 2100's
  • Asus USB-N53 Wifi Stick
  • Logitech C615 Webcam

What my plan was to do next was remove my SSD and put a fresh install on my HDD to see if it's my SSD having issues. I've ran a bunch of health tests over and over and everything comes back as healthy so now I'm just stumped. I'll do whatever it takes to have my pc fixed by the time Fallout 4 comes out because god help me if I can't be on the grind for 10 hours straight.

Edit: Tried booting from HDD wand had SSD removed and still froze

· Moderator; Hardware
20,064 Posts
Freezing can be hardware or software/drivers. As you have used two different OS installs, that should eliminate a software issue. Which leaves a hardware fault. Most common hardware issues would be power or heat. The voltages look good, but that doesn't totally eliminate the power supply. Idle voltages while in the BIOS could be fine, but then a load is present, the voltages could drop. This is often the case when using low quality power supplies (as is the case here...Rosewill is a generic store brand). Quality power is much more important than the size rating.

Having said that, I'd start with testing the RAM. You can use Memtest86 on one stick of RAM at a time (multiple passes).

It may also be worth the time to open it up and remove/reinsert all cables and cards. Just to rule out something being loose.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.