Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having very similar problems as Volvoman on another thread: http://www.techsupportforum.com/showthread.php?t=68879

I've been having a world of failures recently with my year old system. The full spec is here for starters.
AMD Athlon 64 3500
Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound
Asus A8V Deluxe Motherboard Rev 1.x
Zalman CNPS700B-Cu CPU Cooler
Q-TEC PSU 450W DUAL FAN
2x CMX512-3200XL XMS3200 512MB 400MHz 2.2.2.5 Black
2x CMX256A-3200LLPT XMS3200 256MB 400MHz 2-3-2-6 Platinum
Leadtek Winfast A280TD GeForce4 Ti45800
Creative Audigy 2
RocketRaid 1640 SATA RAID CONTROLLER with 3x Caviar 250GB drives
2 x SATA drives connected to Motherboard
1 x DVD writer, 1 x CD/DVD
3 x 80mm FAN
Chieftech Dragon DX-01PLD Purple Case

Running WinXP SP2, fully patched.

Room also contains an air conditioner.
1) Firstly the computer shuts off. This may be overnight whilst nothing is running, or 30 mins after booting.
2) The computer also intermittently hangs, and has to be unplugged (the power cycle button doesn't work).
3) The computer may also BSOD, with MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION, or numerous other BSOD.

I've run memory diagnostic tools for 12 hours with no issues. I've updated to the latest Asus BIOS.

Prior to installing an air conditioner, the CPU was running at about 55C, the MOBO was 29C. With the air conditioner running, the system can poweroff with the CPU at 49C.

After failing the BIOS will invarably state that the overclocked settings are invalid, and I've reset the bios to use the defaults, only modifying the cpu fan ratio.

As Volvoman did, I'm going to replace the PSU as a first attempt, unfortunately the system now refuses to power on, so I cannot get any voltage readings.

Bearing in mind my system configuration, is 450W PSU sufficient? Can anyone recommend a suitable replacement.

Many thanks for any advice.
Jxmac

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Welcome to TSF:

Enermax is my first love of PSU's

Second choice = Antec Tru-Power either one in a 550 watt unit will fit your needs perfectly

both of these two brands offer the highest level of quality for an afforable price (about $100.00 for either make) check ebay and newegg.com

to get any better quality PSU (un-necessary I will add) you will need to bump up to the PC Power & Cooling or OCZ extreme gamer or Silverstone those are $250.00 plus !!

let us know how you progress after your PSU swap out

regards

joe

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Hi,

I can't disagree with linderman about the power supplies. My recommendation is to replace the one you have for a major brand and also I would use Enermax or Antec. linderman probably drives a Ford and I drive a Chevy, so I would choose the (Chevy) Antec 550 and he chooses the (Ford) Enermax. To be quite honest, you can't lose with either one. I do use and recommend both of these supplies.

·
Registered
906 Posts
The PSU is always a suspect, I would replace it first. However I think this is a hardware issue so if a new PSU does not cure it then try stripping the machine to bare bones with 1 stick of ram and see what it does.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The RAM has been ok for about 6 months, I also ran memtest for about 12 hours with no issues.

PSUs - I'm favouring the Seasonic S12 600W for performance, stability and noise, or the Enermax Noisetaker 600W as a second choice.

Given they're about the same price, has anyone experience of the Seasonic?

It looks like the Antec 550W didn't come out so well on Toms Hardware Guide: http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/200507111/stresstest-09.html

Its also been suggested the Geforce4 is worth updating, any suggestions for a suitable replacement, just runs two monitors but no intensive gaming.

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Hello:

The Seasonic and Enermax are both High quality PSU's as documented by PC experts and magazines.

The antec PSU does get some less than shiny reviews / but your link is the first review I have seen that describes the Tru-Power as a Mediocre PSU ???? I know the Neo-Power got a bloody nose in a review I read.

I am an Enermax lover myself / have used them extensively for about 6 years and have never had one go belly up / I am trying my first antec tru-power 550 so far I really like it, its very quiet too.

regards

joe

·
Registered
73 Posts
jxmac18 said:
As I type, the PC finally nosedived and refuses to powerup. I'm also checking http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/200507111/ for some useful PSU info, but looks like ~550W is needed.

I'll order something tomorrow once I've read up, and let you know what happens next!

many thanks
Jxmac
Look at my sig for what I'm running on a good quality true power supply. You don't need high figures!!! Just good quality! The guy at the shop who recommended this to me runs two raptors in raid, a 7800 GTX, 2GB of ram and a pentium 4 dual core...on a 350W supply.

Do I need to convince you more?!?!?!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess like any test/benchmark environment they put the hardware through some fairly intensive tests... how often do you throttle your PC at 100% for 24 hours.... but it might show a good indication of whether your PC components are going to get fried or not.

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
@Carlos:

I think you are a fortunate individual to get away with running your P4 system with a 350 watts PSU. To advise someone to deliberately buy a 350 watts is sucidal. For every one case like you that says they are runnign fine with a 350 watt PSU / I can name at least 10 that have system that is unstable or burning up very expensive PC componets.

besides / what is the benefit to running an undersized PSU ???????? a good quality PSU costs $100.00 ~~ what are you saving when you buy a good quality 350 watt PSU >>> $20.00 maybe >>>> not this dude ~~ I have shelled out enough wasted cash to know better !!!

I strongly advise you do some research (google searches) and you will not find anyone who knows better making such a reccomendation.

regards

joe

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.