1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

PC:
HP Pavilion t480.uk,
MOBO: ASUS K8N8X-LA (DOM) (replacement for defective original K8N8X-LA PES)
RAM: 1Gb, memtest86+ OK (36 hours)
HD: 2x120GB, CHKDSK /R via recovery console shows no problems

About a week ago this PC BSOD'ed (DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL), had this before. Hit the big blue switch, and then restarted.

Result: Zilch, not in normal mode, not in safe mode. The PC reboots the moment the Windows logo comes up, most of the time I don't even get to see one of the blue bars going by. Recovery console works, but doesn't allow me to do more than get into the Windows directories. Disabling auto restart will give the same error, but I've also seen "Page Fault in Non Paged Area" and on occasion I don't even get a BSOD, the PC immediately reboots.

Any suggestions?

I do have an Acronis Image of a few weeks ago, but I'd consider that something of a last resort option as it would force me to make additional backups of my "My Documents\owner" folder in order not to loose several hundreds of pictures I've backed-up for my son in the last week and a similar amount of emails that are no longer on the server...

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Robert

·
Registered
655 Posts
See to me that says RAM, but as you said you have memtested.
Just a reinstall would go down well and most up to date drivers.

BTW chkdsk showed 0 errors with my old 120gb laptop drive..i shall let you know that it is actually trashed. we know it is cos we have slammed it to the floor and hit it, placed magnets on it etc..we test IT stuff here :)

CHKDSK still says 100% OK but windows wont install, neither will linux lol

·
Registered
123 Posts
Could be a hardware issue but I wouldn't jump to that conclusion. Without the dump it's hard to say.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I've done an additional 24 hours of memtest, which has not shown up any errors. Also, when booted to plain old DOS (PC DOC 2000) the PC workds without any problems.

However, neither Knoppix (V5.3.1) nor Ubuntu (8.04) works. Most of the time they will hang at some stage, but on occasion they will crash with a stacktrace while trying to load. FWIW, the PC did boot with Knoppix after I downloaded it in March or April...

Any further suggestions would be appreciated, also on the various memtest options that might show up more.

BTW, how do I go about a reinstall? The PC came with XP Home pre-installed, I've later upgraded it to XP Pro and except for not installing IE7 and not (yet) installing SP3, it's completely up to date.

Thanks,

Robert

·
Registered
655 Posts
Ubuntu wont load on my old compaq, neither will windows..crash to bsod.
I would change your ram anyway and try again.
I know the ram is at fault in laptop as ive take the stick outs and replaced with my working laptop ram..voila loaded

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would change your ram anyway and try again.
Tonight I replaced the entire MOBO with another K8N8X-LA I bought on eBay a few weeks ago. System booted, went on to ask for the XP Pro upgrade CD (it had stopped in the middle of a repair I tried erlier) and "re-installed" itself. Drive letters are now a mess, it tried to read the CD but the CD drive was no longer there, but eventually it worked (clicking 'cancel' a lot of times...) Am now using Acronis to make an image and then I will restore the image I made about a week ago.

I'll keep you posted...

Robert

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Status update:

Made an image of C: using Acronis and then restored the image of 10 days ago. Am now busy merging the differences, but sofar system is running again without problems. FWIW, this is the THIRD time I've had to replace the MOBO for this machine and I still haven't got a clue why they are self-destructing...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.