Tech Support Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
TSF Moderator , Hardware Team , Networking Team
8,865 Posts
When Microsoft gets all (most) of the bugs worked out of their Windows 11 PC Health Check app and release it to the public, it should help answer a slew of questions.

For right now, I am not buying/recommending anything running an Intel CPU older than 8th generation. 9th is even better.

-- edit --

Just read this:

Microsoft isn't widely publicizing this loophole (that you mentioned above) and says that it is unsupported by the company. The company attempts to drive this point home by stating that "Devices that do not meet the minimum system requirements had 52% more kernel mode crashes. Devices that do meet the minimum system requirements had a 99.8% crash-free experience."

·
452 Posts
Yep. But from what I've heard so far, Microsoft may not provide updates for Windows 11 running on non-supported hardware.

Of course they will the issue is that they claim that the older hardware will get more BSOD's - and I would like to see the testing on that and how the testing was conducted since they have already reached that conclusion. The only way that would happen (because W11 is merely W10 with a new UI) is that they would intentionally make that happen with older hardware. Personally I don't think Microsoft has the time or skills to intentionally BSOD anything below 8th Gen Intel and Gen 2 Ryzen. It's a stupid premise. Moreover, if they try to disable Windows Updates for those systems that they allowed Windows 11 to be installed on with an ISO it would basically be nurfing 75% of the PC's that attempeted it. I don't know about you but that sounds like lunacy.

·
8,865 Posts

·
Global Moderator
51,352 Posts
Just read this:

Microsoft isn't widely publicizing this loophole (that you mentioned above) and says that it is unsupported by the company. The company attempts to drive this point home by stating that "Devices that do not meet the minimum system requirements had 52% more kernel mode crashes. Devices that do meet the minimum system requirements had a 99.8% crash-free experience."
Note that 52% more kernel crashes would probably only be 99.7% vs 99.8% crash-free, not exactly earth-shattering differences! :rolleyes: Also, I wouldn't brag about software that was only 99.8% reliable, that's not exactly something to write home about!

I developed avionics for many years, and we developed to RTCA/DO-178B and RTCA/DO-178C guidelines. Many of the systems such as the air data computers and primary flight instruments were developed to Level A standards, that implies a 10−9/hour failure rate, in other words, one failure in a billion hours! The fuel systems were typically Level B, so they could fail every ten million hours. Did I mention that any Level A system and almost all the Level B systems have redundancy?

This sounds like Microsoft double-speak to me.

·
8,865 Posts
It would be impossible for Microsoft to test Windows on each and every available combination of PC hardware and software out there, and more being introduced every single day, all over the planet. And withoput control over what Windows might end up running on, I think they are doing a fairly remarkable job.

·
452 Posts
It would be impossible for Microsoft to test Windows on each and every available combination of PC hardware and software out there, and more being introduced every single day, all over the planet. And withoput control over what Windows might end up running on, I think they are doing a fairly remarkable job.
That was something that was said about 30 years ago, and they did it and they still do it (mostly) yes they do a somewhat remarkable job. Until they don't. Lately they are doing quite a nice job other than the obvious stupid initial hardware requirements - they claim it's about the TPS 2.0 module and security. Basically the new announcement was a sort of an olive branch if you will - a reprieve of sorts because if they didn't do it they realized that 75% of the worlds PC's can't run Windows 11. Pretty much end of story.

·
Global Moderator
51,352 Posts
Well, for the time being, I've closed the book on Win11. Installing on "non-approved" hardware with MS threatening to withhold security updates makes this an easy decision.

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
29,625 Posts
Dell commercial on the radio today had big Labor Day sale featuring all computers with Windows 10 Pro. I guess Dell isn't ready for 11. 😁

·
8,865 Posts

·
8,865 Posts

·
8,865 Posts

·
Global Moderator
51,352 Posts
Yawn! I'm way ahead of them, already sticking with Win10.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts