Tech Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What you need to know
  • Upgrading directly from Windows 7 to Windows 11 will require a clean install or for you to re-image your PC.
  • In contrast, PCs moving from Windows 10 will also have the option to upgrade through Windows Settings.
  • Only PCs that meet the minimum requirements for Windows 11 will be able to upgrade to the new operating system.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I knew it was coming, same old bill gates ********.its all about money. vista sucked on to sell 7 / 10 sucks to sell 11. This all started from a thief that stoled dos from ibm. and and just another hitler

·
Global Moderator
42,242 Posts
Nice Rant @oldtechman, Sorry to be that guy, but a few things; Bill Gates left Microsoft software development about 10 years ago and announced last year he is stepping down from the board. So, he had nothing to do with Windows 10 or 11
Paul Allen, Bill Gates partner in Microsoft bought DOS for $50,000 from Gary Kildall and Microsoft partnered with IBM to put it on IBM's personal computers. What's the story behind the guy Bill Gates bought DOS from? - Quora. That's not to say that Intellectual Property hasn't been copied and stolen in Silicon Valley for decades, both Apple and Microsoft and every other firm are all guilty.
Millions upon Millions of people have been using Windows 10 for over 5 years now. You may think it sucks, but millions of users might disagree with you.
Windows 11 is still in the development stages, with it's hardware requirements not being compatible with many computers in the world, it will certainly change before it comes out. So, lets just see how it develops before panicking. In the end, it is all about the money. Because money feeds the technology.
I don't remember Bill Gates invading any countries or causing a Holocaust?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hes doing a holocaust right now with the vaccine. thanks for the compliment spunk.funk. but ill never get back that 2 minutes it took to read it.

·
Global Moderator
51,352 Posts
Paul Allen, Bill Gates partner in Microsoft bought DOS for $50,000 from Gary Kildall and Microsoft partnered with IBM to put it on IBM's personal computers. What's the story behind the guy Bill Gates bought DOS from? - Quora.
BUZZ, WRONG! ;)

In truth, Microsoft bought QDOS from Seattle Computer Products, Gary Kildall and Digital Research had no hand in MS-DOS. I actually met Gary Kildall a bunch of times, I was working with Univac on the first large scale computer system to use the 8080 processor, the BC/7. We were using the Digital Research CP/M and their PL/M programming language.

Speaking of Gary Kildall and his computer products, here's an excerpt. In an amusing twist, and to show how total BS stories live forever on the Internet, here's a link to one page Sperry UNIVAC BC7 - Rhode Island Computer Museum. The amusing part is the statement "One document says that the BC/7 was originally made by Singer, and the product line was sold to Sperry/UNIVAC.". Since I was actually intimately involved in the development of the BC/7 from the launch of the project, I can state with 100% certainty that Singer had absolutely nothing to do with any phase of the development! It would be amusing to actually see what document they allude to, because it's pure fiction!

Univac BC/7

Reactions: JohnthePilot

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hello All,
Not sure if this has been answered already, but speaking of a "Path to Windows 11", how is Win11 for serious gamers? Wait it out?

·
Global Moderator
51,352 Posts
I would venture to say with some certainty, it's not going to make a huge difference in games either way, I'd wait until the early adopters shake out the bugs. ;)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Looks like win 11 might kill off a few of the clunkers that barely made it under the wire from 7 to 10.

Hopefully I never have to care. My i7's should make the muster.

·
Global Moderator
51,352 Posts
Looks like win 11 might kill off a few of the clunkers that barely made it under the wire from 7 to 10.

Hopefully I never have to care. My i7's should make the muster.
You may be assuming facts not in evidence. I have an i7 based machine with 16gb of RAM, it doesn't make the cut.

·
Registered
15 Posts
You may be assuming facts not in evidence. I have an i7 based machine with 16gb of RAM, it doesn't make the cut.
Yeah, good point. I was just checking the ASUS I've been playing with, and it won't make it. But, I have no intention of going to 11 at all, if I can avoid it.

·
Global Moderator
51,352 Posts
Well, we have a few years before support for Win10 expires, and I don't see any burning reason I need Win11 right now, so I can wait as well. Probably in a couple of years I may want a newer computer, and it would be supported.

·
TSF Moderator , Hardware Team , Networking Team
8,865 Posts

·
Global Moderator
51,352 Posts
I have four years before I have to consider a new PC, and I'll probably want one by then.

·
8,865 Posts
Here's a link to Microsoft's latest updated "Insider Preview Version" of the new "PC Health Check Application" that expands on the eligibility check functionality with more comprehensive messaging and links to relevant support articles. This app will tell you if your PC is eligible to upgrade to Windows 11.

Windows Insider Preview PC Health Check Application (microsoft.com)

Note that to access this page, you need to be a member of the Windows Insider program.

·
452 Posts
It's know known that despite the MS hardware requirements (8th gen Intel and Ryzen 2 gen+) and Secure boot - that you will be able to fresh install WIndows 11 with an ISO as opposed to using Windows Update with hardware that meet the requirments. That means you could install it on your older 4790k or Ryzen 1600x just fine. The actual caveat would be that it will not be officially supported in a hardware sense (that's my own explanation). And, you can install in on legacy systems as well as long as it's at least a dual core with a decent clip of memory- 8Gb or more.

·
8,865 Posts

·
Global Moderator
51,352 Posts
I think I'll leave Windows 11 on the shelf for now, too many unknowns about what it will and will not run on.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts