Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a K8v dx and have added 2 pata (ide) drives on the ultradma133 connector. Enabled the ide controller in the bios and they are recognized on the post screen as well as being listed in the bios, but I can't get WinXp to show them. Tried scanning for them in disc management as well. I'm just using these for storage. I also have 2 patas on the primary ide controller.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
78,002 Posts
they need to be formatted for windows to see them,but you would expect to see them in disk management and format from there
have you installed the driver for the controller
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've installed everything concerning promise and via that I could find at asus. The promise array management (PAM) is installed, but does appear to have anything with the controller and I am not trying to raid these, because they are not matched drives. Hence, in the bios setup I have the promise controller set to ide rather than sata. The boot screen shows both drives as ultradma 5 and 6 and that they are active. One thing that does puzzle me is that Via shows up in the device manager under ide ata/atapa controller, but not Promise. It does show under scsi and raid controller as Promise Technology, Inc Ultra Ide Controller though.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
78,002 Posts
is the onboard raid controller enabled in the bios,i have little expierence with sata and can only go on the manual and what i find on searches
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, the onboard raid controller is enabled in the bios. I have tried enabling several ways: In raid mode, ide mode and with both drives and single drives. I know that in order to setup an array with 2 drives, they have to be identical, and these are not, but I did try it anyway. No matter what I do nothing shows when connected to the promise raid controller. I read a 'rumor', (someone heard somewhere), that in order to use the promise controller that you have to use 2 identical patas, or 1 sata on master with 1 pata slave. A single pata or 2 unidentical patas wouldn't work. If that's the case, then why do they show in the bios as well as on the boot screen both together and as singles. Both work fine on the secondary ide controller. I do have these jumpered as cable select.
 

·
retired
Joined
·
1,966 Posts
I did check in the device manager. Everythings fine there.
What are the details? Are all the drives listed and identified by model name?

Have you used the Hardware Wizard to verify there is only one instance of each drive, if it appears more than once then there is a possible conflict and you will need to remove all instances before rebooting for clean install.

---------------------------------------
Using Hardware Wizard, select:
-Uninstall/Unplug a device
-Uninstall a device
-[x]Show hidden devices
if a device listed more than once then remove all instances of the device
repeat above until all instances are removed then reboot for fresh install of device.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25,116 Posts
Greetings:

If you are not going to be using the raid config then you must disable it in the bios. Change the controller back to Sata / look to see advanced mode is enabled.

regards

joe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Stu_computer said:
What are the details? Are all the drives listed and identified by model name?

Have you used the Hardware Wizard to verify there is only one instance of each drive, if it appears more than once then there is a possible conflict and you will need to remove all instances before rebooting for clean install.

---------------------------------------
Using Hardware Wizard, select:
-Uninstall/Unplug a device
-Uninstall a device
-[x]Show hidden devices
if a device listed more than once then remove all instances of the device
repeat above until all instances are removed then reboot for fresh install of device.
The hardware wizard lists all the drives by there appropriate model # except those connected to the promise controller and does list only one instance of each and there are no conflicts.

linderman said:
If you are not going to be using the raid config then you must disable it in the bios. Change the controller back to Sata / look to see advanced mode is enabled.
Done that

crazijoe said:
Do you have any specs?
OS and what service packs,
Model and size of the drives.
WinXP Pro Sp2
One an 80 gb Maxtor pata
The other WD cavier se 80gb pata

Everyones help is greatly appreciated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,747 Posts
wuzzle said:
One thing that does puzzle me is that Via shows up in the device manager under ide ata/atapa controller, but not Promise. It does show under scsi and raid controller as Promise Technology, Inc Ultra Ide Controller though.
This is normal.

If the drive work correctly when connected to the secondary IDE connector and the drives show up in the BIOS shows them under the promise controller, we can rule out faulty drives. The only this I can see is the configuration is not set up correctly for the Promise controller.
First thing I would do is set the jumpers of the drives to Master/Slave. Then check in the Promise FastBuild Utility (go into the FastBuild Utility after the MB POST) to see if the drives show. I have seen situations where you need to configure a single drive array. I know that sounds stupid but this was the only way I have been able to get the drives to work.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Neither drive is faulty having checked both on the secondary ide. I'm currently just trying to get one drive to show on the promise controller: The maxtor 133/80gb pata. It shows on the mb boot screen and in the fastbuild utility as functional. Fastbuild utility setup is; maxtor mas stripe 1 udma 133 and is active. I have tried this setup with both drives together in a stripe array with no luck. Of course, one has to set to slave and they show as stripe 2, meaning 2 drives setup in a stripe array.
I've also tried to get the hardware wizard to discover the maxtor, but it won't. Tried scanning for it in disc management, also.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,747 Posts
Very strange that they don't show in disk management. This would lead me to believe that it has to be a configuration descrepancy with the Promise Controller. Or you cannot configure single drives on that controller.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
crazijoe said:
Very strange that they don't show in disk management. This would lead me to believe that it has to be a configuration descrepancy with the Promise Controller. Or you cannot configure single drives on that controller.
Keep in mind that I've tried configuring both drives as well with the same results.
 

·
retired
Joined
·
1,966 Posts
I haven't found the asus page for this particular model, there are several similar models, just not this one.

I'm wondering if this is one of the boards that can use one or the other but not both controllers at same time.

Have you tried disconnecting the via ide drives and just work with the promise drives?

Download a win98 bootdisk and Astra dos platform (astra510.zip) to access from floppy boot. If the drives are accessible in dos then it's an xp issue.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top