Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have windows installed on a SATA HDD, and I have a secondary PATA HDD aswell.Recently, I decided to install linux on the PATA HDD , and the install went fine, but I couldn't boot into linux.
The BIOS seems to not have recognised the presence of the PATA HDD, and although I can access it in windows, I cannot boot from it.
I first noticed this problm when I first plugged it in, as it said drive 5 could not be found, however when I disabled drive 5 in BIOS, the HDD became inaccessible in windows. Until now, this wasn't a problem, as I just left Drive 5 enabled, and hit F1 to ignore the missing drive message every time it boots, and I could use the drive in windows anyway.
However, now, I need to boot from it, so, does anyone know why this is happening?
Thanks in advance for the help,
Wheybags.
PS:Disk management reports the disk as Healthy (Active), so that means I have it set as active, so that's not the problem, right?

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
You need to alter the Grub. Most versions of Linux will not write the grub to load different drives.( Puppy Linux does).
Another way around this is to use the Boot priority as a Boot Manager.
Boot and go into the Bios. Go to Boot Priority and make the Pata the top selection. press F10. Assuming you have the cd as 1st boot reinstall Linux , it will automatically see the Pata and load to it.
When finished reboot and then each time at boot up select which drive you want to run.
Added : Try the Boot priority, it just might boot without reinstalling.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope, BIOS still doesn't acknowledge the existence of my HDD.
Also, when i did as you said, and pressed F10, nothing happened.
Did I press it at the wrong time?
I pressed it just after changing boot priority.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nope, BIOS still doesn't acknowledge the existence of my HDD.
Also, when i did as you said, and pressed F10, nothing happened.
Did I press it at the wrong time?
I pressed it just after changing boot priority.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
When you press F10 it defaults to Yes and then reboots.
Try this: Pull the power connector on the Sata and reboot. Make sure the Pata is set to Master and is connected using the end of the connector ribbon.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.