Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have "inherited" a Proteva AMD-K6 computer from my son. It is pre-loaded with Win 98SE and a bunch of software from HSN, and he installed a version of Nuts and Bolts. Somewhere along the way (maybe when he was using AOL?) the tab for changing passwords disappeared from the Password Properties folder in the Control Panel. The only tab there is for User Profiles.

I use a Dial-Up ISP. The dial-up properties box will NOT "remember" my password, nor will it permit automatic connection (both boxes are grayed out). Also I cannot delete the opening "log-on" request when I start windows either. I assume that having the tab and the subsequent ability to "Change Windows Passwords" or "Change Other Passwords" will correct these problems.

But how do I get the missing "Change Passwords" tab back?

·
Premium Member
598 Posts
Hi papabearkrb. Welcome. :wave:

At the opening logon request you will need to enter a password (password can be blank). This is required for the dialup box to "remember" you dialup password. If you do not know the password for the opening logon request you can enter a new login name and just leave the password blank.

Also, you should be able to change the passwords in the user profiles folder in the control panel.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Zvalkor,

Got it in one. Many thanks.

****, and here I thought there was something else we could blame on AOL.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.