Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've occasionally heard that it would be a good idea to partition your HDD and have your OS on a separate partition from your program. Does anyone have any links or insights into this, as I am such a novice I don't know how it would be done or how you would get to the programs if they were on a different physical HDD from the OS. Could this be accomplished if the computer had already been built up with all of its programs and OS on one partition, or would I have to start from scratch? I would like to be able to use 2 HDD's: one for the OS and one for the programs so I could restore or clone w/o having to touch the OS.

·
Henry
3,490 Posts
What kind of programs? It is possible to partition your hdd and put programs on it, but to do this I BELIEVE (I'm not sure) that you have to have an OS on the one you want for programs. An OS is what runs programs. I think you can store stuff like music files on different partitions as like a cd, but I've never tried it.

I have dual partitions on my hard drive right now, and it wasn't hard to get em on. I used Partition Magic

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
i always partition my drives.

although, it's not to gain any performance, in fact, it loses a minescule amount of performance.

i do it because i like to keep things seperated for my own sanity.

as far as installing the os on one partition, and the programs on another, it will work fine.

on my pc, i have many many many partitions, since i quad boot win98/2000/xp/mandrake 10.

in fact, the os's are on one hard disk, and the document partitions and the games partition are on another hard disk.

i have a 4 gig partition for win98, a 6 gig partition for windows 2000, a 10 gig partition for xp, a set of 3 linux partitions making up a total of 3 gigs, and then the rest is split into a games partition, a music partition, a documents partition, and a vault partition. (the music, documents, and vault are fat32 of course, so i can use the same documents folders for all 4 os's)

on the games partition, i install all the games, for 98, 2k, and xp.

do they care that they are installed on different os's at the same time? no.

i installed the games in 98, then 2k, then xp, that way they are all in the appropriate registry files in the os's.

for example quake3 arena....

first i installed it on win98, and when i got to 2k, it already worked, so i installed it on xp, and now it works fine in all three MS os's. (and it takes up almost the exact amount of space as it did when it was installed on just win98)

basically, there is almost no limits to this.

·
Henry
3,490 Posts
Or you can do what WaltSide said :wink:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.