Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
28,121 Posts
If you mean from the factory, your "everyday" drive, usually C: is what you're using. The D: retores your computer to the way you received it. Other letters would be for other drives like your optical drive.

·
28,121 Posts
What brand is the computer? Most are putting the original OS+drivers on D: so it's better not to contaminate it. I had a conversation with Dell about 5 years ago and although a user could put stuff on the D: drive, if you would need to restore, you'd have to pick the correct file(s).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its a Samsung RV510 Laptop with a 178 gb C drive half used and the D drive is 278gb with nothing on it at all.

·
28,121 Posts
According to the Samsung specs you have a 320GB HDD. Unless someone partitioned the disc for you, it should not be set up the way you describe. Samsung recovery is done through something called Samsung Recovery Solution which can be accessed by pressing F4 on startup. Did you "discover" the unused partition in Windows Explorer or by some other means?

·
28,121 Posts
OK, the question now is did someone partition the drive? If you got it directly from Samsung no. If you bought it in a store, ask what they might have done.

·
28,121 Posts
The HDD should not have been partitioned the way you describe. If there was a recovery area, it would have been relatively small (D:). If that area really has 0 bytes, I would use it for your personal data. Backup "My Documents", then copy and paste them into D: Do not delete from C: until you're sure all is working by opening D: and accessing a file or two. If all OK and you've made a backup on an external device, delete "My Documents" from C: Now make a .docx in Word and see if it shows in the D: My Documents. If everything is working, you can now move other personal stuff leaving Programs and OS at C:. Remember to install new programs to C:.

·
Team Manager - Hardware, Acting Manager, Security
14,671 Posts
First of all the second drive can't be empty, but the Reco0very Partition on it is most likely hidden by default so you cannot see it.
Type "run" into the search above at the bottom of program menu.Click on run in the menu that opens up then type in "diskmgmt.msc" and hit OK.
This will show you how the drive is actually split. Be sure you aren't reading "meg" for "gb" in looking at these and tell us what the partitions for the hard drive show here.

·
28,121 Posts
Thanks Rich. I've been skeptical of the "partitioning", especially since it didn't conform to the Samsung description of the unit.

·
28,121 Posts
Whoa! Did you see what Rich was getting at. I hope you checked and made sure it wasn't your Recovery Partition or that you have the Windows 7 disc somewhere.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.