Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
People,

Just completed a complete reinstallation of XP (for some reason, "System Restore" was never functional.) I'm at a point at which, if I intend to partition...(in order to benefit my PC's primary use, which is audio multitracking)...I should do so now.

I have 2 drives, the secondary used for audio data; & the primary (right now) for everything else (OS, SONAR, WaveLab, other apps, graphics files, etc.) XP permits me to partition the drives (& I am very hopefully assuming I can move files/folders afterward...i.e., use XP for this task, as opposed to a partitioning program.)

1) If I leave "everything else" on the primary drive, as one large partition, does XP arrange everything in an order conductive to optimum data retrieval (I keep thinking that, from an electro-mechanical aspect...the OS should be located on a separate platter from the applications, so that "different" tracking heads are working simultaneously?)

2) If I partition, what goes where; & why? (I am assuming one partition for OS, another for audio apps; & another for typical apps, would be acceptable?)

3) How are partitions related to drive platters; & is that relative to optimum data flow?

4) I was digging around in my XP bible ("XP Inside Out", by Bott & Siechert) for all this, but couldn't find anything of immediate use. Can someone please point me toward some good links?

Thanks very much,

mark4man

·
Global Moderator
51,325 Posts
I'm confused about your statement:

"I'm at a point at which, if I intend to partition...(in order to benefit my PC's primary use, which is audio multitracking)...I should do so now."

Unless you have something like Partition Magic, you should have setup the partitions BEFORE you did your installation.

As far as organization, that's personal preference. I have a partition for the O/S and installed applications, and a separate data partition for any data that's possible to relocate from the boot partition. I also have an automated backup of Documents and Settings every day since that's still on the C: drive. I also have a large work partition for tinkering with video files, and archive partitions for my MP3's and application installation files.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
johnwill...

Originally posted by johnwill:
I'm confused about your statement. Unless you have something like Partition Magic, you should have setup the partitions BEFORE you did your installation.
Then this cannot be accomplished after the fact? (i.e., my primary drive already has the OS, some apps; & some files/folders on it.)

If I partition now, I loose everything...through reformatting?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I do, I'll leave it...& use a partition program in the future (if necessary.)

So then, my question still remains...how does XP allocate the various apps, drivers & files as they are loaded in?

Is it in a logical manner, conductive to optimum data retrieval? And also: how is this accomplished relative to multiple platters (or does that even matter?)

Thanks,

mark4man

·
Global Moderator
51,325 Posts
Re: johnwill...

mark4man said:
Then this cannot be accomplished after the fact? (i.e., my primary drive already has the OS, some apps; & some files/folders on it.)

If I partition now, I loose everything...through reformatting?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I do, I'll leave it...& use a partition program in the future (if necessary.)

So then, my question still remains...how does XP allocate the various apps, drivers & files as they are loaded in?

Is it in a logical manner, conductive to optimum data retrieval? And also: how is this accomplished relative to multiple platters (or does that even matter?)
Like I said, a 3rd party partitioning utility is the only way to change partition sizes without losing all the data, so that's the answer to that one. :)

As far as how files are loaded in, it's not significant, and you can't do anything to change it in a meaningful way anyway.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.