Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, I have just built my 1st ever pc and used Partition Magic 8.0 to make 3 Partitions.I stupidly decided to delete one but have now lost the 8GB that it held.I have done 3 XP repair and formats but it is still not seeing my lost partition.My Seagate Barracuda 200GB Hard Drive used to read 194GB but is Now 186-even after formatting-although Seagates site still sees the original 200GB.Luckily i saved all my data but its really annoying me that ive lost 8GB of space.I have tried Partition Magic to recover it but as i have formatted the drive i cannot undelete my error.Im new to partitions but i get the feeling that its still there but invisible to read-i think i may have upset the Partition Table!Im not an expert but manage to plod through so would be very grateful for any help anyone can give.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Once you delete a partition then you have to go back in and repartition that space. With the old P-Magic you could add it to the existing partition, Or take some from the present partition and combine them in what ever combination you wanted.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Deleted Partition

Hi oldmm,

Thanks for replying so quick.I went back in to Partition Magic but it wont let me increase as its not seeing the Space i deleted.I ran CHKDSK and this is what it said-and just to let you know that the drive i deleted was F:drive

*Warning! f parameter not specified. running CHKDSK in read-only mode.
*Missing object id index entry or duplicate object id detected
*Errors found-CHKDSK cannot continue in read-only mode

I dont understand all this as im new to Partitions but as the drive i deleted was called F:- it seems a coincidence that this was the error message-though i have no idea if im right!
I am really grateful for any help as i am kicking myself for not reading the rules before i attempt things-though i've learnt my lesson!

Thanks

PS-maybe im wrong about all this-does a new 200GB hard drive freshly formatted and only the o/s installed use up 14GB of space? I have 186GB free-though it definitely was more than that before i did this.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
HDD Require a certain amount of space for there drive files my 80Gig have only 74.5Gig actual storage space. this is normal if you go in to disk properties it will tell you the disk size and beside it will tell you the actual storage space.

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
the draw back to 3rd party partition modifiers is the lesser chances you have for data recovery programs to work. I think you are far better off sticking with windows as your partition maker.

ohh well try this prog and see if it will "fix" your deleted partition

http://www.ptdd.com/

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the help-this is my 1st ever forum and im really impressed with all the help on hand-especially as im only just learning.

*hwm54112*
How do i reformat and partition in DOS mode? I can go into command prompt but i dont know what to do from there-im running xp pro!

*linderman*
I downloaded the free version of Partition Table Doctor but to be honest i have not got a clue what to do-im worried about causing even more damage-is it worth buying the full version or shall i just forget about my lost space-does it damage the hard drive in any way by just leaving it? Seagates diagnostic tools says it has errors that need to be repaired!

*oldmn*
PM 8.0 reads the disc as 190,000 whereas before it was the full 200,000-My Computer sees it as the full amount but only 186 free though it used to be more!

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Go Here and download Seagate Diskwizard this will run in windows. :sayyes:
I use it to duplicate my boot drive once a week so I always have a bootable HDD. :sayyes: Unfortunatly my spare drive is in the process of RMA'd for the second time. :sad:

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Hi oldmn,

Thanks for the advice. I went to the site but as im quite new to all this technical stuff im not soo sure which software i should download.They also have an online version that says it will repartition my drive-will that get me back to the original size? Is it hard to make a bootable hdd with this?

I really appreciate your help

Thanks

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Go to this LINK and download Diskwizard for windows and install it (double click on the downloaded file). after you install it select maintanance,
Partiton and format then grow a partition. :sayyes:

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi oldmn,

I did what you said and downloaded the Seagate Discwizard.The trouble is that when i went into the program it would not let me format as it was my Boot Drive/Partition-it says it has limitations on allowing this-all i can do is grow and make partitions-im a bit stuck now!

Thanks

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi all,

I got a response at last from Seagate and they tell me that its normal for a 200GB Hard Drive to be seen as 186GB.I think i will just forget about it but i can definitely remember the 200GB being seen by Partition Magic as i did 2 partitions of 105GB and 95GB-before i made a third.Now its only seeing 190GB so somethings gone-though i suppose Seagate know best!

I did their online diagnostic check and the following came up:

Results for volume C: (NTFS)
Volume Label: Seagate Barracuda
Volume Size: 200.04 GB
Some files on the volume are open. This may effect the accuracy of the file system check and result in false errors.
The file system contains errors that need to be repaired

I did the Xp Error Checking but this still comes up.

Thanks

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Hawk:

could you live with "starting" over ??????

I personally would not just forget about such circumstances / they are bound to bite you in the butt later / the longer you wait the more it hurts when the re-install boogey man comes ??????

if can accept a fresh re-install / back-up what ever documents and files, data you need and I will give you a step by step way to erase your drive fresh / just like it was new out of the box / then use Windows partition tools / and install your OS

what version of win xp are you currently using SP-1 or SP-2 ????

regards

joe

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi Joe,

Great-thanks for your help-im on a weeks hols so i will quite happily reinstall-as you say-this thiing will bug me!

I am running XP PRO SP2-is there any more info you need?

Cheers Joe

Pete

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Happy as a Lark to hear youre OS disk already had SP-2 added to it ???? right ???

if thats the case you can skip the slipstream process (137 gig barrier drive fix is in SP-2)

go to this website and download Darik's boot & nuke >>> download the floppy version then use it to "wipe & erase" the drive >> it will be just as empty and clean as the day it was new!!
http://dban.sourceforge.net/

after you download this / open the prggram and run it on the drive / the easiest way is to use the "auto" mode

then review this link on how to partition and format the drive with win xp
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=313348

or this link
http://www.pcworld.com/howto/article/0,aid,73826,00.asp

to hold your best data recovery efforts available to you / dont use 3rd party partition tools / you have benefitted from your previous experience >> you now know how many partitions you want and what size >>> enjoy

dont hesitate to ask more questions

joe

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Right-here goes!!

I will never ever muck about with software again-its more trouble than what its worth!

I'll let you know how i get on-if you dont hear from me within a week you know i've messed up!!

Thanks

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi Joe,

Sorry to be a pain-i have downloaded it but am unsure how to get it up and running.Do i have to go into Bios to change the boot from Floppy as nothing seems to happen when i go into the Floppy drive itself-there doesnt seem to be anything to click on that starts it!!

Thanks for your help

Pete

PS...it look a frightening piece of software-im a little nervous of using it!

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Hello Hawk:

Yes / you will need to change your bios order to floppy drive first / FYI your computer should remain boot from floppy forever / there will come a day when you have a nasty windows crash that wont start the OS / you'll be happy when you can use an emergency start-up disk for win xp !!

and yes / once you insert the Dabn flopppy it will start on its own if you have the boot order changed.

dont hesitate with any questions that may arise

regards

joe

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi Joe,

What can i say-you gave me some fantastic advice and it worked a treat-my space is all back and there are no more errors on my Hard Drive-brilliant piece of software-it beats Windows Format anyday! Though the downside was that it took almost 6 hours to complete-i was biting my nails most of the time!

Thanks again to everyone who helped in whatever way-it was much appreciated!

Pete

Ps..do you mean i should leave the boot from floppy and not from the Hard Drive itself?

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
You should leave you boot order permanetly set to boot order = floppy, hard-drive -cd-rom

some day >>>unfortunately>>> you will experience a real nasty crash that only a set of emergency start-up disks will get you out of / if you cant boot from the floppy then you will be in big trouble / same thing is you get a corrupt bios ????? you wont be able to enter the bios of a corrupt bios to change boot order to floppy first !!!! but yet thats what it will take to restore a corrupt bios ????? now you see ????

enjoy & happy computing

joe

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.