Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, here's the sitch

As some of you know from a previous thread, I'm upgrading my grandmothers computer. the CPU is a 1900+ (palo). Years ago when I built it, I was stupid and put PC 100 memory in it, and set the FSB to that also. The CPU, was operating at 1200mhz, for the past like 3 years, no problems.

I got a new mother board, one that takes DDR. I install the board, put the CPU/memory/power hooked up alone. I set the cmos jumper to normal the the FSB jumper to 133. It dosen't boot, no beeps or video post. On a hunch, I set the FSB back to 100, it posts. SEt it back to 133, it posts, but some of the strings in the bios are incomplete and it locks up. I figure, board refuses to operate properly at 133. it's defective. Crap...

I put her old board back in. Put some PC133 ram I have lying around in it, Set the FSB to 133, and it boots fine....

Windows refuses to load, I get BSOd's

I try and install windows 2000, It gets to different parts of loading drivers (before install), and it freezes, or say it can't load a file, or if it gets through loading the drivers, when it gets to "Loading Windows 2000" (the install) I get a 2K bsod. I think, ****! I killed something on the board

then on a hunch, I take the jumper for 133 off, CPU goes to 100 FSB/1200 Mhz. Windows will not load, but I Think I messed it up when It was scandisking and locked up. So...I put the 2000 cd in, and it actually gets to the installer, just fine, no problems

Could the CPU just be partically defective? Running fine at 100, but not 133?

Here's something else intreatsing that happened, the master drive has been running fine for a long time, the jumper is on 'master'. After I switch the new board in, and back out (same board the drive has always operated on), it now takes a loong time to detect it, and I get a "master drive failed". I then put the jumper on Slave...and it detects it normally and boots off it. After reading on the drive, I take all the jumpers out, which operates the drive as "single". How on earth has this been opearting for over 3 years on Master, then suddenly, not. There was no other device hooked to the same chain.

Totally Freaked out and pissed off,
Paul

·
Registered
878 Posts
you put pc 100 in a ddr slot?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, risking my own cpu, I put my 1.3 t-bird in the new motherboard. It booted up fine, at stock speed. No problem. This sucks, now I gotta try and contact the company. Thier last bios update for thier board says it supports Semprons, but they didn't update thier CPU Compatability list to say which ones. Grrr

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.