Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I plugged in my Palm USB HotSync cradle, I hadn't installed the software. Windows XP didn't recognize it, and before I knew what I was doing, I think I clicked something that made XP never recognize it as "New Hardware". Now I can't perform a HotSync. Any ideas? Do I need to uninstall a USB driver? How would I do that? Thanks

·
1,438 Posts
Windows has added it, but thinks it is something other than what it really is. Drivers are software which tell your operating system how to talk to your hardware, and what special requirements it has.
Think of it as trying to speak to a French exchange student in Serbian. Chances are they will just be confused.

USB devices are hot swapable so they are detected the moment they are connected. Generally you need to install any software and drivers first then when prompted connect the device.
First make sure the USB device is not connected.
So what you need to do is go to control panel/ system/ hardware / device manager
Click view / show hidden devices.

Now you want to locate any devices marked as malfunctioning or disabled. (Red X , yellow !) and choose remove (uninstall).

When you finish, reboot pc and try installing the drivers and software first, then connecting the device when it tells you to. If this does not solve it, it is probably being detected as a generic human interface device (HID) and windows thinks it is working correctly. Locate and uninstall that in device manager and try again.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.