Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.

Im at a dead end on how to fix my laptop. I have a Dell Inspiron 6000 which is about 5 years old. I have never had any problems with it before until a few weeks ago. My laptop has no battery life unless it is plugged in, and a few weeks ago my niece pulled the wire out the laptop and it so my laptop turned itself off straight away, midway through browsing the internet.

Since then, whenever i try to turn the laptop on, it loads quite fast until windows starts, and then goes reeeeaaalllllyyyyyy slow! It took 2 hours for it to load before i could even press the start button and then spent another 20 minutes thinking about that before it opened it. It looks as though its booting up/loading and therefore it wont let me do anything else.

I know that it was really full, with only 8% space so I ran a defragmentation and clean-up (which took about 6 hours!!) and now its 15% free but this hasnt helped with the problem.

Any help or advice would be really useful...Im not sure if the problem is a windows thing, or something else....i know how to use them, but dont how to fix them! :grin:

Thanks in advance!

Vic

· Registered
11 Posts
You may have contracted a virus. Try running a free malware program like "malwarebytes" or "hitmanpro" off the internet.

Also, look go to START/RUN and type msconfig in the box. Take a look at what's being loaded during startup...see that there isn't a bunch of junk starting that you don't need.

You could also try restoring your computer to a time a month or go when it did work well and see what that does. Probably wouldn't help if there is a virus but if you want to try that go to: START/PROGRAMS/ACCESSORIES/SYSTEM TOOLS/SYSTEM RESTORE and pick an earlier restore point.

Let me know what happens. Thanks, Brent516

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi,

I did the above things suggested. The system restore to an earlier date didnt change anything, but when I ran it in Safe Mode i got a warning screen come up saying that windows had detected a problem and that I should restart the computer. If the screen appears again then I should consult further help.

The warning screen had the follwing codes on it:

STOP: 0x00000024 (0x001902FE, 0xF7B61B6C, 0xF7B61868, 0xF759F6D4)
Ntfs sys - Address F759F6D4 base at F758E000, Datestamp 45cc56a7.

I have no idea what these numbers and codes mean.

Any advice?

I think im just going to give up and send it to be fixed! lol

xxx

· Registered
11 Posts
I cut and pasted the following information from the Microsoft Technet website:

Troubleshooting steps for a no-boot situation in Windows XP

This article discusses how to boot to Windows Advanced Options menu.

1. Disconnect all external devices (printers, USB hubs, USB drives, etc...) and then boot up.

If this corrects the issue then add the devices back one at a time until you discover the piece of hardware causing the issue. Then get any updated drivers\software for the device.

2. Use the”Last known good configuration” from the Windows Advanced Options menu.

If this option resolves the issue then look for any updates or software installs that may have caused the problem.

3. Boot to Safe Mode from the Windows Advanced Options menu.

If you can get into safe mode then the issue could be driver or software related.

From within Safe Mode run a System Restore. This article gives instruction on the System Restore process.

4. Perform a Clean Boot

Follow the steps in this article to troubleshoot with a clean boot.

Advanced troubleshooting with clean boot.

Mike - Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

The link to that thread is: http://social.answers.microsoft.com...r/thread/901f9138-7a73-42f2-86ed-00c7fef3b77e

Thanks, Brent.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.