Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi,

ok here goes, i recently upgraded my home network and im having problems with it, ive upgraded to the belkin pre-n dsl router. ive got 1 wired computer on the network and 3 wireless.. i pick up the signal all around the house perfectly, some places 5/5 and others 4/5. im mainly having problems with 1 computer and the laptop, which are both in the room at the back of the house. when i connect to the network, i connect fine, not a problem, i surf the net for a bit and then all of a sudden i get the message, windows cannot display this page and get signed out of msn.

ive tried disconnecting from the network and reconnect and try but cannot surf the net, ive tried disabling the wireless network card and enabling it but still no luck. ive also tried renewing the ip address and still nothing. the only thing that works is by me restarting the computer/laptop and then connect to the network, so then some time later same problem.

ive also wired up the laptop to the router and 20 minutes later "page cannot be displayed" but when i went to use the internet on the other wired computer it was working without any problems.

ive got norton firewall, norton antivirus & zone alarm running, ive permitted access to the http ports and have given internet explorer the "permit all" option.

i also noticed yesturday, when the problem arose, i started playing with norton filewall setting and i reopened the http ports again (80, 81, 82) and i could browse the net but the pages wouldnt load fully, for example, the text in the web page would load and a few pictures but not the whole page.

also today, when i put the laptop on, i double clicked on internet explorer and page could not be displayed, so i pressed f5 a few times and the page loaded.. so i typed hotmail into the google search, and again, page could not be displayed so i hit f5 a few times and it loaded.

so im jus totally confused at what is causing the problem.

any tips would be highly appreciated.

·
Alternative Computing, Moderator
2,754 Posts
hi,

ive also wired up the laptop to the router and 20 minutes later "page cannot be displayed" but when i went to use the internet on the other wired computer it was working without any problems.

ive got norton firewall, norton antivirus & zone alarm running, ive permitted access to the http ports and have given internet explorer the "permit all" option.

i also noticed yesturday, when the problem arose, i started playing with norton filewall setting and i reopened the http ports again (80, 81, 82) and i could browse the net but the pages wouldnt load fully, for example, the text in the web page would load and a few pictures but not the whole page.

any tips would be highly appreciated.
As its only one laptop and it still stops surfing when using an ethernet cable you can rule out wireless.
Why are you running two firewalls? With zone alarm and norton firewall, it may well be a firewall conflict as both programs will be competing to block traffic. You need to temporaily stop or unload zone alarm test your latop on the network, if this works, it may be zone alarm, then repeat but uninstall norton firewall.
Also when you get page cannot be displayed, verify if you have lost LAN connectivity or if its a DNS problem. To do this type ipconfig /all at a command prompt. You should have a LAN address, gw, and dns server in the list. Hope that helps

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hi, thanks for your reply, i installed zone alarm yesturday and have closed it since i started using the laptop today and i aint had many problems today. but before i installed zone alarm yesturday ive had constant problems. oh when the problem arises and i cannot surf the net, i get disconnected from msn, but however it does not effect my downloadin, if i have utorrent running, and when the problem arises and i ping google.com through cmd, it ping's with 0% loss but i cannot surf google. hope this info helps you to figure out the problem which i have.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there.. Ive had the same issues with my wireless ADSL modem belkin router. I fixed the problem by going into the router setup utility by typing 192.168.2.1 into your web browser window and then;
click on connection type and change the MTU to 1492 or the highest it will go
click next and then save/reboot
this is all i had to do to have full access to all web pages i wanted, including hotmail msn and even itunes store card redeem
best of luck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.