·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello :)
first post here.

I recently bought a p5p800 m/b+ p4 650. I own from my previous pc 2gb of
DDR333 (4x512). When I enter the bios for various reasons, I see that the
memory support is up to 533Mhz (am using bios 1011). does that mean the DDR-II 533mhz ? I couldnt find info on that *anywhere* on the face of the planet.. :sayno:

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
Your CPU FSB is 800MHz (Intel 650 = 3.4GHz/2MB/800MHz FSB). The normal FSB of the memory is 400MHz (or memory support 800MHz) when using a CPU of a 800MHz FSB. Since you are not using PC3200 (DDR400) memory it was downgraded to 266MHz (or memory support 533MHz).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
-----edit------

it took me several times - going over your reply.. I finally got it.
I like it in here ! :wink:
is it THAT HUGH performance leap with the pc3200 ? does it worth the money ?

one last thing - can you folks direct me to a link describing the whole ECC/REGISTERED memory thingy.. :1angel:

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
When ever I setup a new system with a CPU that has a FSB of 800MHz, I always use PC3200 memory. Since your MB is cabable of dual channel memory, I would get a dual channel kit.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I read it. couldnt get from the link u gave me though, wether they will perform better then the regular non ecc/registered ram. :4-dontkno

also - if I get u right (starting to doubt myself :laugh: ) the fastest memory module my board is capable of is DDR400, and if I'll install this kind of ram it will show 800MHz as the highest option (insted of current 533MHZ) in the bios ?

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
Normally non-ecc/non-registered memory will perform better then ecc/registered. It doesn't have to go throught the error correction process. It will just dump and that's usually where you get programs that just freeze or or become non responsive and you end up pressing ctrl+alt+delete to close the program and such. Most all desktop machines will have non-ECC/non-Registered memory.
And yes if you install DDR400 memory it will support the 800MHz FSB. and perform much better then the DDR333.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.