Hello,

I just built a new machine with the following specs:
-Intel P4 630 3.0GHz 2MB Cache
-2x512MB Corsair PC4300 DDR2 533MHz RAM
-Pioneer DVR-110D DVD/CD Read/Writer
-Maxtor DiamondMax 10 SATA/150 200GB Disk drive
-Asus P5GDC Deluxe Motherboard

The problem:
-I've just installed a fresh copy of windows XP Pro (no service packs yet).
-When I try to install the audio driver from the supplied asus CDROM, I choose the C-Media CMI 9880 option. The installer starts but then it says:
"Device doesnt exist or maybe removed by manually. Please reboot and try again"
All I can then do is hit OK and the installer exits.

I never removed any device! In fact, the CMI HD Audio device isn't even listed in device manager!
However, in device manager, I do have the following with yellow exclamation (!) marks under "Other Devices":
- PCI Device
- SM Bus Controller

Could it be that the audio device will only show up after the drivers for these two are installed? If so, where do I get those drivers? I've installed everything else that applies from the Asus CDROM.

What in the world is going on?

please help, thanks!

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
1. Make sure that the Onboard sound is enabled in the BIOS.
2 select the yellow pci device and go to update drivers tell it to look for the drivers on the Asus cd.
The Sm Busdriver the same thing update drivers and point to the cd.

·
Registered
35 Posts
You should install KB835221.exe Vou can find it on CD.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
oldmn said:
1. Make sure that the Onboard sound is enabled in the BIOS.
2 select the yellow pci device and go to update drivers tell it to look for the drivers on the Asus cd.
The Sm Busdriver the same thing update drivers and point to the cd.

Hi Oldmn,

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, the drivers are not found on the CD for the unknown PCI Device! I told windows to search the entire CD and it finds nothing. Any idea what's going on?

Do I maybe need sp1 or sp2 for XP installed first? Unfortunately that machine doesn't have internet access so getting the SP's onto it will be a real pain.

thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
HOW TO FIX NO SOUND ON ASUS P5GDC-V 'PCI Device'.................

SoN][c said:
Hello,

I just built a new machine with the following specs:
-Intel P4 630 3.0GHz 2MB Cache
-2x512MB Corsair PC4300 DDR2 533MHz RAM
-Pioneer DVR-110D DVD/CD Read/Writer
-Maxtor DiamondMax 10 SATA/150 200GB Disk drive
-Asus P5GDC Deluxe Motherboard

The problem:
-I've just installed a fresh copy of windows XP Pro (no service packs yet).
-When I try to install the audio driver from the supplied asus CDROM, I choose the C-Media CMI 9880 option. The installer starts but then it says:
"Device doesnt exist or maybe removed by manually. Please reboot and try again"
All I can then do is hit OK and the installer exits.

I never removed any device! In fact, the CMI HD Audio device isn't even listed in device manager!
However, in device manager, I do have the following with yellow exclamation (!) marks under "Other Devices":
- PCI Device
- SM Bus Controller

Could it be that the audio device will only show up after the drivers for these two are installed? If so, where do I get those drivers? I've installed everything else that applies from the Asus CDROM.

What in the world is going on?

please help, thanks!

Hey Sonic,

The problem is that the p5gdc needs a audio bus driver, in other words it needs additional 'Intel HD Audio drivers' not provided by Asus.

Download the following from this ftp site:

ftp://ftp.uni-linz.ac.at/Driver/Notebook/Acer8102WLMi/audio/MSHDQFE/Win2K3/ara/kb835221.exe

**** Here the US English version ****

ftp://ftp.uni-linz.ac.at/Driver/Notebook/Acer8102WLMi/audio/MSHDQFE/Win2K_XP/us/kb835221.exe

The ' kb835221.exe ' file is a self extracting file, just right click and extract.

You will have a folder called kb835221 with the following subdirectories :

commonfiles
srv2k3
update

The HD Audio drivers are located in the commonfiles subdirectory.

All you have to do is update the driver in 'device manager' right click update driver and point it to the commonfiles directory when prompted.

The fonts in device manager were initially in arabic and english, but once updated it reverts to english font.

I hope this helps, please post to other relevant forums to put others out of thier misery :cry: .

This should work for any motherboard that has Intel HD Audio.

Kind regards
Irefan.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.