Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This problem does not seem to be unique to my system only, however I could not get it to work with other posts' advice.

My Specs
LGA775 3.0Ghz Intel
Asus p5gdc deluxe mobo
Western Digital 160 IDE HD

Please note that I bought this system in perfect working condition. About a month ago I installed an addtional Cd burner to the system which caused something in my bios to crash and not start XP. I reset just about every jumper setting I could find back to the default and it still won't recognize my HD while on the raid_1. I know that the working condition had my HD on raid_1 and my optical drive on Primary IDE. Now it just can't seem to place the HD. I don't have a lot of money invested in this computer so would buying a SATA HD be the easiest fix? If anyone had similar problems with the Bios not recognizing HD please let me know if you had any luck correcting the problem.

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Hi,

Need a couple more bits of information:

Which IDE slot do you have the hard drive right now? Is it still on Raid 1?

Is the Western Digital drive alone on a ribbon cable, or does it share with a CDRom or burner?

How are the jumpers set on the WD drive?

Where is the WD drive placed on the ribbon cable?

How are the jumpers set on the additional CD burner?

Which postition on the ribbon cable is the CD/burner placed?

This information should help us to know more about your setup.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The IDE WD hard drive is alone on ide_raid_1 with an 80pin cable
The cd burner is alone on primary ide with a 40pin cable
The working jumper settings of each HD and Burner were set to cable select, but I have tried every single combination since then in hopes that something would work.
As for the locations on each ribbon I believe I always use the last connection on the ribbon. Hopes this helps you and thanks for your help so far.

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Otieno said:
The IDE WD hard drive is alone on ide_raid_1 with an 80pin cable
The cd burner is alone on primary ide with a 40pin cable
The working jumper settings of each HD and Burner were set to cable select, but I have tried every single combination since then in hopes that something would work.
As for the locations on each ribbon I believe I always use the last connection on the ribbon. Hopes this helps you and thanks for your help so far.
Hi,

Tell you what I want you to try first. If any WD (IDE) drive is alone on any ribbon cable, you must remove all jumpers and place it on the end of the ribbon cable. Other configurations will not work as a rule when alone on the ribbon cable.

The CD burner is O.K. on IDE #1. Place it on the end of the ribbon cable and set the jumpers to master.

If this does not work, then for now, place the WD on the end of IDE #1, then use an 80 connector cable and place the WD as Primary on IDE #1 with jumpers set to master and on the end of the ribbon cable. PUt the burner on the middle of the ribbon cable with jumpers set to slave.

Let us know how this works out. If you can get this working, then we can begin to move things where you want them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright - option 2 is working. I was able to put both HD and burner on the Primary IDE. I installed windows and all the drivers for the mobo. Are there options for moving this onto the raid1 ide? If so, is it a great performance benefit?

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Hi,

So glad that you got it going anyhow. Darn things can be a pain sometimes.

The only way that Raid would be a benefit, is if you use two drives that serve as one. For example, two hard drives that are seen as one will permit faster write and read times. However, if you are looking for speed only, then a Sata would be the best option in my opinion. Even then, you won't see much performance gain over what you now have.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yah I think I will upgrade to SATA as soon as the budget permits. I really only have the IDE HD because it was soo dang cheap. Thanks for your suggestions!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.