Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I decided to open up my PC and blow out all the dust, and also added another gig of ram.

After everything was cleaned and ram installed the PC wouldn't power up. I checked everything and after about an hour I finally had the PC boot again. (I was wiggling the psu wires and it finally booted up. Had a short somewhere who knows.)

Problem now is none of my USB ports are working. Bios says there are 8 ports enabled/supported, I un-installed all the USB devices in WinXp System and rebooted, WinXp finds and re-installs them but they still don't work at all.(Formatted my PC aswell to test it, still no USB with the clean WinXp install. Also re-flashed the Bios still no USB.)

Question is, are the USB ports fried or is the PSU weak and not giving the MB enough power to run the USB ports properly? Talked to another tech today and he thinks the USB ports fried. The PC seems to work fine, just the USB ports not working at all.

Also if the USB ports are fried is it worth it to keep using the PC as is without the USB and hope it lasts awhile and pray nothing else dies out?

Any suggestions would be great. :smile:

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
Does usb show up in device manager. Is there a yellow flag by the entry.
Click on usb in device manager and update driver. Is sp2 installed. May
be a psu issue.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info.

Seems that my UPS was locking up all my USB ports somehow.
Unplugged the UPS cable and now they all work, not sure if the UPS faulty or just the driver for it.

Thanks again. :grin:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.