Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone:

I will try to do it short and structured.

The Problem:
I cannot enter the BIOS. Either on minimal configuration (VGA, CPU and 1 working RAM module) or fully equipped, it shows no POST screen, so it is not possible to enter BIOS.

I had the problem before installing windows
It even didnt load windows (once I managed to install it), but, i am not sure why, once I repeteadly pressed F1, Windows was loaded and everything seemed to work right (except the POST issue, which remains the same).

I had the problem fixed and back again after installing windows
Once I updated windows to SP2 and installed mobo drivers (including the chipset one), suddenly it seemed to be fixed. I could see the POST screen and pressing DEL I could enter BIOS, but yesterday I had the genial idea of opening my case to install a new DVD RW and now I cannot enter the BIOS again...

I have updated to the latest stable BIOS, but nothing changed. I removed the CMOS jumper and cleared the BIOS, but the only thing I got is that now I cannot boot from the CD, so I cannot reinstall the OS.

The current situation:
Now I have some configuration problems I cannot resolve without entering BIOS, like reinstalling the OS or configuring my disks / ports (which are other problems, but, as Michael Ende said, "This is another story, to be told at another time...").

Specs
MOBO: P5AD2 Premium
CPU: Intel 775 3.0GHz
RAM: 1.250 MB kingston
VGA: ASUS EAX800XT
PSU: RAID MAX RX 520 XP (520W)
HDD: Maxtor SATA 200GB

So, there it is. Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have tried taking out the HDD, because I think it should give a message like "no OS found, please reboot" and should tell me which key can I press to enter BIOS, but only the "no OS found, please reboot" part is shown.

I am not able to find any help on Google and about ASUS technical service... well, I will tell you something once we fix the problem (if we can...). I am getting worried about this issue...

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Welcome to TSF:

What method of bios updating did you use ???????

I would strongly advise trying the ALL DOS utility / maybe its AFUDOS ????

I have no faith watsoever with the other methods / I have been burned by them way toooooo many times / dont forget the quick boot feature in the bios will "hide" some of the bios activity during start-up / I would advise a cmos clear then bios install

get the lastest DOS bios utility off the website for your mobo / use the bootdisk.com bios utility to format your floppy disk / its the second item on the web page " driverless bios utility " after downloading that / insert a new floppy disk in your floppy drive and start-up the DRDFLASH program / after it prepares your floppy copy the bios utility to the disk as well as your new bios file / then carefully follow the manual instructions for the command

dont forget to unplug the psu from the electrical wall socket / then pull cmos battery out for 30 minutes / also change jumper cap settings during this ame 30 minute period just to make sure it dumps !!!!

regards

joe

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Joe:

Sorry not to have answered in such a long time, but I really had anything new to offer, and I didnt want to post without a solution or new data.

I just found the source of the error, but I think you will not believe it (I still dont).

The problem was the monitor. Only that. I changed the monitor and I could access the BIOS with no problem. It seems that the monitor I was using (I couldnt get the model before it was trown out to the rubbish by someone else, but it was a 15'' one and about three years old) could not show what the mobo was sending on the first 15 secs of booting +-

Now everything is fine. Thanks a lot for your support and your time!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.