Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Does it show the same garbage with other hard drives and with no ide devices connected?

I have seen similiar things in the past and it was the HDD, CDROM or a defective Power Supply that was causing the problem and sometimes defective or incompatible RAM.

1st thing I would do is check the mainboard all by itself with no devices connected other than a keyboard and try another keyboard also.

2nd I would try it with another power supply.

3rd Try using a differenct piece of RAM.. etc..

·
Premium Member
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does not stay.

The weird text goes away if I unplug the drive and then boot and reconnect it. It is a WD 120 drive. Which recently fell out of RAID. I'm currently running just one drive and have the defective one as back-up. Funny thing is I just got the drive back from WD as a replacement.

·
Premium Member
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ran it.

I ran the quick test and the extended test on both drives with no issues. Is there another program to test it with?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Ive had this once before on my P4P800E Deluxe. It turned out to be a jumper set incorrectly.
Have you got your drives set as master and slave or are you using cable select? Some boards dont like cable select.

·
Premium Member
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jumper??

Monbart said:
Ive had this once before on my P4P800E Deluxe. It turned out to be a jumper set incorrectly.
Have you got your drives set as master and slave or are you using cable select? Some boards dont like cable select.
I have no jumpers installed on SATA drives because I did not think they required them. Besides when this happened I had one on the intel and another on the silicon.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Did you get this question answered before going to the P5WD2 board?

·
Premium Member
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Asus!

They never Emailed me back to RMA it but when I logged on to Asus under my account there were messages to send the board back too them. It was too late by then I was already running my new board. It may have been an optical drive issue because I continued to have issues with that drive and I replaced it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.