Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Does it show the same garbage with other hard drives and with no ide devices connected?

I have seen similiar things in the past and it was the HDD, CDROM or a defective Power Supply that was causing the problem and sometimes defective or incompatible RAM.

1st thing I would do is check the mainboard all by itself with no devices connected other than a keyboard and try another keyboard also.

2nd I would try it with another power supply.

3rd Try using a differenct piece of RAM.. etc..

·
Premium Member
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does not stay.

The weird text goes away if I unplug the drive and then boot and reconnect it. It is a WD 120 drive. Which recently fell out of RAID. I'm currently running just one drive and have the defective one as back-up. Funny thing is I just got the drive back from WD as a replacement.

·
Premium Member
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ran it.

I ran the quick test and the extended test on both drives with no issues. Is there another program to test it with?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Ive had this once before on my P4P800E Deluxe. It turned out to be a jumper set incorrectly.
Have you got your drives set as master and slave or are you using cable select? Some boards dont like cable select.

·
Premium Member
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jumper??

Monbart said:
Ive had this once before on my P4P800E Deluxe. It turned out to be a jumper set incorrectly.
Have you got your drives set as master and slave or are you using cable select? Some boards dont like cable select.
I have no jumpers installed on SATA drives because I did not think they required them. Besides when this happened I had one on the intel and another on the silicon.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Did you get this question answered before going to the P5WD2 board?

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
I had the same with my P5GDC. it was a combination of things 1. bad cdrw (New OEM) and had it plugged into the IDE raid. these boards have the standard IDE port (Blue Socket) that is for the optical drives.

·
Premium Member
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Asus!

They never Emailed me back to RMA it but when I logged on to Asus under my account there were messages to send the board back too them. It was too late by then I was already running my new board. It may have been an optical drive issue because I continued to have issues with that drive and I replaced it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.