Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
P5AD2-E "A disk read error occurred" I have had two harddrives in here with the same result each boot. Has anyone seen this?

Mark

·
Premium Member
78,002 Posts
check the bios settings are correct,is this a new build or are the drives formatted and an op.system installed

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is a new build. BIOS seems fine. It shows the HD and the RW in the IDE detection. When I put a harddrive I know to be working with Windows it reboots just after the RAID detection screen, and when I put the new harddrive that may or may not have a good win install on there it gives me A disk read error has occured.

·
Premium Member
78,002 Posts
when you take a h/d from another computer and put in,it is best to format and reinstall,or run a repair install on it as it will not boot because it is looking for the previous m/b and finding the new one and it stops it in dead it's tracks
is the new h/d ide or sata

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Now when I try to reinstall Windows, if it sets too long it gives a blue screen with "Windows detected an error and has shut down" etc. I haven't been able to reformat and reinstall on another harddrive, because the only confirmed good drive I have is in a machine. I did put the drive I am trying to use in a USB enclosure and it formatted alright and everything. It's a 400GB drive, if that would have any affect on things.

Any ideas?

Mark Ingold

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x0000007B (0xf78da63c, 0xc0000034, 0x000000000, 0x000000000)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Stop 0x0000007B During Installation

I have a new system, with a P5AD2-E Premium Asus MB, and a 400GB Hitachi Deskstar HD. When I try to install XP, Right when I get to "Setup is Starting Windows" it gives me the blue screen with the Stop 0x0000007B message. I have put the hard drive in a USB enclos, run check disk, and reformatted.

Any ideas?

Mark

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Those articles deal with harddrive cloning. I put in different harddrive to install Windows on and it does the same thing, before entering into the GUI setup mode it gives me the STOP error.

I am having some problems in BIOS. I have tried a few combonations of hooking the HD up to the Raid, which is supposed to default as an IDE connector, and I have the RW on the regular IDE plug, but in bios I have an option for Hard Disk Drives, and I can only boot from the CD when the RW is set as the first HDD. I know something must be wrong there. When I set the HD as the first HDD the RW just shows up as Atapi CD-ROM and it won't boot. Any insight on this? Would there be any reason I need to install raid drivers at the beginning of OS installation even if I am just using the raid controller as IDE?

·
Banned
102 Posts
Stop 0x0000007B errors are from an inaccesible boot device. What pin settings are you using on the drive, master, slave, cable select? Some drives also have a setting for "single" when it's the only drive on the channel. What info is in the drive documentation on pin settings?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.