Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, I'm really at my wit's end. My tower's been down for weeks, and I'm getting really sick of this laptop. One day, I walked in and smelled a horrible burning smell inside my computer. I turned it off and checked it out. The CPU fan would no longer turn, and the plastic cradle that held the fan was slightly warped (probably what I smelled burning.) As far as actual output went, I got nothing from the system. My chasis fans still worked, but I got no beep codes or anything else to indicate that the system was turned on when I hit the button. Anyway, I called Intel. They said it was just a bad CPU fan, and they sent me another one. Didn't work.

I called them up and they assured me that a P4 could not overheat. So I called Asus and told them the motherboard was bad. I sent it to them, they checked it, and they sent it back to me saying that it was fine.

Then I brought home a brand new, out-of-the-plastic motherboard and power supply from work for testing purposes. I stuck my RAM and my processor in it, and it gave me the same results. (Eg. no beep codes or video display.)

Armed with this info, I called Intel again, and they finally sent me a new processor. At this point I was thinking, well, it's finally fixed. I hooked all my equipment up, pushed the button, and saw the Asus logo. Horray!

Ten seconds later, it shutdown with no warning. No beep codes, no screen flash, no error message, just silence. I tried again, and got the same thing. Well, almost the same thing. It shutdown at a different part of POST. Now, everytime I push the button, it starts booting, gets a little way along (it varys everytime,) and then shuts itself off. I'm really out of ideas here. Any suggestions?

Unno

Edit. Forgot to mention that I've tried multiple video cards in the system and the processor is a P4 3.06 ghz.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25,111 Posts
Hi,

First of all, it sounds like some type of short. I would take it out of the case, place in on a non-conductive surface or piece of cardboard (my favorite way to test and build), and start with only the ATX cable connected, the Square 12 volt molex plug connected, the CPU with heatsink and fan on and connected to the motherboard, one stick of memory (make sure which slot because with only one stick, some are different), the video card with connectors hooked up, monitor, keyboard, mouse, off/on switch, and nothing else,........no pci cards, no drives, nothing else......none, nada, zip, zitch..........you get the picture.

Fire it up and see what happens and report back, be sure to tell us about any sounds, beeps, etc. etc....fans running, motherboard light up.....you know, all the symptoms.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried it. The fans all came on (case, CPU, and graphics card) and the motherboard lit up. Other than that, nothing. I didn't even get the moniter to display anything.

Unno
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25,111 Posts
Hi,

O.K., it does not shut down at any time now, just sits there,.....is that correct?

Put the speaker wires on the front panel connector and see if you get any post beep. Let us know. Remember, only one stick of ram while testing.

Do you by any chance have a friend with another graphics card you could try in this unit?

I think this is the direction I would be going.
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top