Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to everybody! I need help with the following situation : I started a mobo/cpu upgrade in my home pc two days ago using a P4R800-V and a 3.06/533FSB CPU. Although system worked fine for a couple of days, I had some problems on recognising a chassis integrated card reader through the internal/onboad USB connector and I thought that a bios upgrade could resolve the problem.. So, I started a bios upgrade (through windows) using the ASUS Updade utility. The bios delete bar went 100% - the bios write bar went to 100% and then ,while in the middle of bios verify progress the system froze..No mouse move ,no nothing. I didn't get worry as I thought CrashFree BIOS 2 ,will restore my BIOS easily. But when I tried to flash back a working BIOS (following the manual described procedure...) I realised that on pressing the Power ON button, my monitor stays in standby mode (NO PICTURE), so I cann't proceed in restoring BIOS as decribed (following screen utility menus..). All chassis and CPU fans are working and CD lights up the busy LED for a few seconds ..and that's all > No picture ,no action (like floppy or CD read attempt). I tried reseting the BIOS with the CLEAR CMOS Jumper with no results (PSU was switched OFF). PLEASE HELP....!!! Any ideas?? Thanks in advance...
(System running on WinXP Pro, 2 x 512 DIMMS ,TAGAN PSU, SAPPHIRE ATI 9600Pro/256MB, Creative Audigy 2, Adaptec 2940 SCSI adapter + PIONEER SCSI Slot DVD, 2 MAXTOR HDs 60MB master - 200MB slave on primary IDE controller, TEAC DVD+-R & IOMEGA ZIP250 on secondary IDE... :4-dontkno bare in mind that I switched to the onboard video card but still NO SIGNAL to monitor)

·
Registered
906 Posts
Lets start with unplugging your computer for a few moments then plugging it back in.

Next you can try to clear the bios with the bios clear jumper. Look in the manual it should tell you how to clear the bios.

Chances are that if your bios is alive and you have cleared it, it has switched to the onboard video. Remove the video card and try to boot with onboard video.

Let us know what develops.

Note that most ASUS board have a specific DOS utility available to flash the bios. The windows Live update is a dangerous thing to use for flashing your bios because there is alot going on in your system when in Windows.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Barry_R said:
Lets start with unplugging your computer for a few moments then plugging it back in.

Next you can try to clear the bios with the bios clear jumper. Look in the manual it should tell you how to clear the bios.

Chances are that if your bios is alive and you have cleared it, it has switched to the onboard video. Remove the video card and try to boot with onboard video.

Let us know what develops.

Note that most ASUS board have a specific DOS utility available to flash the bios. The windows Live update is a dangerous thing to use for flashing your bios because there is alot going on in your system when in Windows.
I have done ALL of the discribed actions as stated in my original post..
-switched OFF PSU for a few moments
-cleared CMOS with jumper
-switched to onboard VGA
-only thing I have to try is completely remove AGP video card (I 'll do it tonight..)
-..of course I was aware on the risk of WIN Flash utility..but I thought I was on the safe side with the ASUS "CrashFree Bios"

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Viva:

I too just like you have been victimized by asus live update. After my first experience with live update on a non-crashfree bios board / i got ticked off and went right out and bought my current board for crash free bios protection.
I have never tried the crash free recovery process myself ( i use the DOS based bios utilities now so I doubt I ever will have to use it !!) but I have seen many posters try to use the function and it seems in my observations / that crash free bios recovery is an identical twin with Live Update = or in summary trash !!

go to ebay and search for "bios chip" there is a vendor in there whos name is ANGELIB he is lightening fast and very good communicator / I have had the pleasure of doing business with him four times thanks to live update !! The bios chip is around $15.00 / i bought two & you can ask him to flash your new chip with the most recent bios revision.
my purchases with Angelib ~~twice for a board that didnt have crash free bios recovery and twice with boards that did have TRASH free bios recovery / I was stubborn and kept trying live update thinking I was doing something wrong !! after doing piles of google searching looking for info on failed live update (& finding very little at the time) I thought it was just me, SO i kept trying it!!!! yeah I know !!! DUHHHHH

In the future use the DOS based utility to update your bios / it should either be afudos or aflash / they never fail

·
Registered
4 Posts
install vga card

i to had the same problem and nearly bought a new mb chip after running a bios update in windows...screwed the bios right up and i wont be doing that again.. :4-thatsba

But to resolve the problem I had to remove any pci cards and the agp card. Then I had to put in a vga pci card and bingo it beeped up and the screen come on...I then had to put in a msdos floppy and just follow the instructions...it worked for me....yaaaaa...

after it reloaded the bios all the cards went back in and bingo Im up and running without any problems at all.. :sayyes:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.