Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I just advised my friend to do a BIOS Update for his P4P800 as his computer had problems recognizing a >128GB hard drive and he was still running the initial BIOS version.

Okay, by using EZ Flash he updated the BIOS ... the tool said "successful ... rebooting" and it rebooted. The vocal error message then said "system failed due to CPU overclocking"...

My friend seemed to know the problem and said that a BIOS reset was needed. He followed the steps in the manual(power off, cable off, batteries off, set the jumper, ...). Then he booted the computer ... and was facing a black screen. The computer started, fans are running, but no beep, no nothing.
STRANGE THING!

Did he kill the BIOS with the resetting procedure? Is this possible anyway?
It seemed to work after flashing ... "system failed due to overclocking"

I will go and have a look at his computer tomorrow. Any suggestions would just be great!!

Regards,

Wallenstein

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Welcome to TSF:

No you cant mess up your bios by doing a cmos reset ????

I think the problem may be the bios upgrade may not have been as successful as you think !

This is the reason I ONLY use the DOS based utility (afudos or aflash ~~ see your mobo manual) for bios updating - you may get lucky and try reflashing again with the DOS utility ~~~ download the newest version of Afudos off the asus website for your mobo model number / it will be in the same location as the new bios files !!

worse case senario / go to ebay / do a search for "bios chip" keep an eye out for the vendor named "ANGELIB" he will sell you a new bios chip (with the latest bios revision on it) for about $10.00 / I have used that vendor many times ~~ he is awesome communicator and lightening fast delivery

what your going thru is no big thing / just a pain in the back side / you can get it up and running in no time

regards

joe

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
here is what the website says about your mobo P4P800

P4P800 Deluxe and P4P800 BIOS V1016Please click on more to read the descriptions before updating BIOS
Do not use old version Afudos.exe to flash BIOS. Must use new Afudos.exe which is included in zip file to flash BIOS.
Using ASUSLiveUpdate to flash BIOS,you need to upgrade ASUSLiveupdate to v 5.22.02 or later before flash BIOS.
Please do not use Ezflash for updating this BIOS unless the pre-loaded BIOS is of version 1014 or 1015.

From experience I have learned NEVER using anything other than afudos with your board and the newer afudos version

goodluck / dont hesitate to ask more questions

joe

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for your answer and your warm welcome, joe :)

Well, the EZ Flash Tool seemed okay for me, as it's not Windows based but offers it's services after hitting Alt+F2 while booting.

As mentioned the bios seemed to "live" after flashing it. It just seemed to have a configuration error ... only after the reset it went dead.

edit: sorry, I read your posting too late. Strange enough the newest BIOS I found for the P4P800E Deluxe (sorry, forgot to mention the whole name) was 1009 .... and nothing like this was mentioned anywhere.

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
You are correct / I was referencing the model as first stated P4P800

your mobo (i too am running same board) P4P800-E deluxe does not have that warning / but I personally think its na oversight on the part of asus / the P4P800 has that warning as so does the P4C800-E deluxe have the same warning / thats one board model before your board and the next board after your board model ??????

I can tell you from first hadn experience / I have built over 25 systems with the P4P sereis boards and many cusotmers have returned for help because of either ez-flash or live update / I have NEVER had a service call with the afudos users

you have nothing to lose / try another cmos clear

have you tried the bios recovery yet ????? (dont get hopes up too high I have not had a high success rate with that ~~ crashfree bios is nice advertising and so is live update ~~ they both smell like poo poo to me !!

regards

joe

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
thx again for your help ...

as mentioned I will only go to see my friend (and his computer) tomorrow ...

Well, I also had set little hopes in this BIOS Recovery feature ...but this would only work with a BIOS being aware that it's corrupted, so it's offering the possibility of a re-flash.
But the monitor just stays black....

It just won't go into my head why it's the reset that caused this "black screen" situation. It should have worked as good / as bad as before..

edit: I still know someone with the same board ... and a working BIOS. Maybe you could start it, take out the bios chip, put in the "broken" one and flash it again ...

But heck ... I really don't want to be guilty of a BIOS multikill! :)

edit2: might a deinstalling of hardware(e.g. RAM) help, regarding the new BIOS and the reset ?

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Wallen:

I would avoid removing any hardware (i.e. ram) until you get it working again (you will just be adding more variables in the event the mud may get deeper = murphys law ) / also I would not try a hot swap of the bios with the other machine

If I were in your shoes I would send off for the bios chip from Angelib / its a good practice to have a spare one on hand anyway

after you upgraded the bios did you do a successful restart ????? and work with the machine ????? what led you to the need for a cmos clearing anyway ???? just curious

joe

·
Registered
25,116 Posts

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Wallen:

this actually sounds easier than heck (hotflashing) scroll down on webpage

http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2004/03/11/bios_hotflash.html

if you are not afraid to be a ---- bios multikiller LOL this may be the route to go !! make sure to use AFUDOS or you'll be looking for a third board LOL be very sure on the bios chip orientation though ? i have installed them wrong and fried new ones ~~ they will go into the bios chip socket in the order orientation !!!!! there is generally an orientation mark or cut off corner ? dont go by stickers !!!!

let me know how you progress / i am curious how you make out and which deceisions you make

joe

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good morning, joe :)

I will go to see my friend now... I will try the bios recovery thing. Hitting ctrl+home shouldn't be to dangerous.

< after you upgraded the bios did you do a successful restart ?????
< and work with the machine ?????
< what led you to the need for a cmos clearing anyway ????
< just curious

No, I don't even know if it posted in the right way after the flashing as I was not there. Yet, the vocal error message of the BIOS said "system failed due to CPU overclocking" ... so I think BIOS was still alive.

The "system failed due to CPU overclocking" is a standard error for nearly everything on that partucular board it seems. My friend said that he knows the problem. He had that situation before ... he meant that a BIOS reset was needed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
strange ... we deinstalled both ram sticks.
Now the BIOS comes to life again ... 1 long beep, 2 short beeps ...

Reinstalling either RAM stick (in any slot) causes the board to go "dead" again. Deinstalling: Beeeeeep .... bipp, bipp.

Referring to beep code tables this would mean that he doesn't like the GFX card ...

There seem to be other people on the net having the same problem ... but they say the other beeps come from USB detection. But this is only the case if the computer runs "normally"...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay ... I phoned a bit around. A local hardware dealer will take care of the BIOS for 15 Euros now ... :) We both lost our nerves ;)
Gave my friend my old computer to work with until it's fixed.

Thanks again for your help, Joe!

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Wallen:

I dont blame you / you took the BEST course of action !! Its a matter of how deep a hole are you willing to dig to save $15 Euros ???????

I still think you got a fragged bios / the one long beep and two short beeps is also is call for a checksum or bootblock error

EXCERPT : If you're not sure which are the correct pins to short and avoid further damaging your chip, measure the potential between the 2 pins using a Voltmeter while the system is on. If the voltage reading is zero (or no potential at all), then it is safe to short these pins. But do not short the pins while the system is on. Instead, power down short the pins then power up. And as soon as you hear 3 beeps (1 long, 2 short), remove the short at once so that automatic reflashing from Drive A can proceed without errors (assuming you had autoexec.bat in it).

regards

joe

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
linderman said:
Wallen:

I dont blame you / you took the BEST course of action !! Its a matter of how deep a hole are you willing to dig to save $15 Euros ???????
Exactly! :sayyes:
A cheapest BIOS chip + tools are at roundabout 12€ here in Germany anyway.

Concerning the beep code ... you took this excerpt from the Award BIOS section of the resetting guide you gave me, right?. Don't know if the AMI BIOS behaves the same ... at least it is strange that it suddenly started to beep when we took out all the memory.

But it's the business of the hardware shop now :)
I will let you know what they said/did.
Maybe we learn something new ... although I presume you were right all the time.

Sorry for the triple posting above ... the edit function didn't like me and vanished.

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
WALLEN:

please keep me posted on the final outcome of your situtation / i am just as curious to see if my therioes are correct.

joe

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi Linderman,

The computer shop called up my friend today...

They "just" installed a new mainboard, asking for 80 Euros now.
They said the bios was only there in "fragments"...

I don't think they really took a deeper look at it.

Simply installing a new board wouldn't have been okay with me, but it seems to be okay for my friend, so... :4-dontkno :smooch:

Regards,

Martin

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Wallen:

Damn that's a shop to stay clear of / I would try to get the dead board back from them / insist on it !!!

then get a ram chip off ebay like i suggested / then maybe he can recouperate some of his cash by selling the board on ebay !!

regards

joe

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.