Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well as the title implies I've just about had it....Here's what I am running:
Asus P4P800 Deluxe(Board says rev 2.00 w/ 1009 BIOS)
P4 2.6C
2x256 PC3500 Mushkin BL2(Winbond BH-5)
36.7GB SATA WD Raptor
80GB WD SE 8MB
Audigy 2 sound card
GeForce 4 Ti4200
Windows XP Home SP1a

I first had problems when trying to install XP. I got a BSOD saying "BAD_POOL_ERROR" and it also said if it was the first time seeing this error to restart...which i did and everything went ok from there. Then I installed 3COM NIC driver from CD and then updated windows and installed Audigy drivers from CD w/o restarting(i think a mistake). I then attempted to install Norton System Works 2003 Prof. and in mid-installation the computer rebooted.

From then on i would get random reboots and fatal errors so i decided to reinstall windows. After doing that I installed NIC driver and then attempted to update windows and the computer rebooted again in mid-installation.

So i attempted to reinstall a third time and it failed in windows setup. I should also point out that I am unable to get the system to boot from floppy. Everytime i attempt it i get a message saying "Unable to boot from selected drive, choose another drive to boot from or replace media in drive" or something to that effect.

I guess I should point out that i have installed XP on the raptor and will be using the SE for storage....

I have the raptor installed on SATA_2 b/c it would show up in BIOS as IDE 4 on SATA_1, but now with it in SATA_2 it shows up as IDE 3. Weird huh? And of course the SE is on the primary IDE as Master/Single and I have a CD-R on the secondary IDE as master.

Anyways, I would appreciate any assistance you guys could give me as I am at my wits end.......

·
Guru
1,315 Posts
I got a BSOD saying "BAD_POOL_ERROR" and it also said if it was the first time seeing this error to restart...which i did and everything went ok from there.
I did a couple searches around the web for this. BAD_POOL_ERROR doesn't show up at Microsoft but it does show up a little in AltaVista and Google. The theme seems to be bad RAM, but there wasn't much to go on.

2x256 PC3500 Mushkin BL2
I've been pointing out to everybody trying to use PC3500 in this mobo series that this DDR433 is not specifically supported by the i865P chip in your mobo. The chip supports only "DDR266, DDR333 and DDR400 unbuffered 184-pin DDR DRAM DIMMs" according to Intel. Mushkin claims they tested it, but you need to be aware that by using PC3500 with this mobo that was not designed for it, you are at risk for trouble.

I searched the Mushkin site for "BL2" memory but found nothing, I assume you meant "CL2" as in "256MB PC3500 CL2 - Black Hi Perf Level II"? You might be able to tweak some of the timings but I really can't help you there.

Which DIMM slots have you got your RAM in? For dual it should be A1/B1

Does the system stabilize if you run with only one stick of RAM?

Another idea: If you uninstall the Audigy, does the system become more stable?

I have the raptor installed on SATA_2 b/c it would show up in BIOS as IDE 4 on SATA_1, but now with it in SATA_2 it shows up as IDE 3. Weird huh?
Yeah. Weird is right. My SATA_1 drive shows up as Third IDE Master.

-clintfan

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thoughts.

I agree, it sounds like it could be memory or BIOS settings related.

I would do the following and in this order:

1) Upgrade the BIOS to the latest (v1011).

2) Clear the CMOS / then run as close to the BIOS defaults as possible. Don't be tempted to mess with Overclocking or any of that fancy stuff until you have proven your system to be stable.

3) Install XP, but MAKE SURE you only have ONE hard drive and ONE CD-ROM drive visible (installed) to the system. Install all other drives after the system is up and proven stable.

4) The first thing you should do once the install of XP completes is install the Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility version 5.0.2.1003. THIS IS A MUST!!!

5) Install SP1 (Not SP1a. SP1a is a DOWNGRADE from SP1. SP1a is minus the MS Java Virtual Machine and some Java based applications will not work without it, such as the Homestead Site Builder from Homestead.com.

6) Install ALL Windows Updates, critical and non-critical. You can skip the .NET Framework stuff, MovieMaker, Jornal viewer and Windows Messenger, but install everything else.

7) Install your virus protection software (preferably Norton AntiVirus, and get the latest Virus definition files installed otherwise the software is nearly useless).

8) Install only essential and reasonable drivers: Video, sound, NIC. Only install the latest versions. Go to each website and download the newest of new. Do NOT install current, CD versions with the intension of updating later. (Unless of course they are brand new and you check and find there are no newer drivers or software available.)

9) Don't load up a bunch of your progs and apps yet! Test the system with a minimum load for a while to prove system stability. I find the best test is to load up a good FPS game, install any updates or patches for it and then see how long you can play without any problems.

Let us know if this helps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the helpful replies....

I think i made some ground last night by moving the RAM from A1 & B1 to A2 & B2. I also upped the voltage to the Ram to 2.75(I read somewhere that Mushkin likes voltage). This seems to have stabilized the system. I was able to install windows w/ no errors and i installed the Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility version 5.0.2.1003. I also think doing this first helped. I then installed Norton Systemworks(including virus sw) followed by a windows update. I only installed the critical files but will go back tonight and install the others. Seems stable so far....i will use memtest86 and prime 95 to verify that before overclocking.

As far as the SP1a goes it was included on the OEM CD i got from Newegg so can i install the Java s/w separate?

I am still wondering how to update my BIOS when i can't boot from my floppy. I haven't tried since this last installation so maybe it will work now....

Thanks so much......

·
Registered
37 Posts
MS Java VM

Glad to hear things are looking up for you. Nothing is more frustrating then getting a new machine put together after spending all that money and then to have nothing but problems.

I am still looking for the MS Java VM separately. This has to do with the lawsuit between MS and Sun. MS had to get rid of their MS Java VM to satisfy the lawsuit.

MS :argue: Sun

·
Registered
376 Posts
MS Java VM Download
Is this what you're looking for?

I've got both MS and Sun on my system, but I prefer the Sun Java since it's reportedly more stable and secure.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Mental_Myopia said:

I've got both MS and Sun on my system, but I prefer the Sun Java since it's reportedly more stable and secure.
How do you do that? I was considering that possibility. I was under the impression that one HAD to be removed before you cound use the other.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Now that I'm looking, it appears as if some rascal took the MS Java off. LOL

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.