Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seemed to have gotten everything right in the installation of this board. It took 2 winxp installs, and several BIOS tweaks. I turned off APM, not knowing yet what Throttle Slow Clock Ratio is, and how it affects my system. I have the SATA set to IDE not RAID, and have 1 Samsung 200GB SATA, and 2 Maxtor IDE Drives, along with a DVD burner and a DVD ROM/CDRW.

P4 3.0 HT 1mb Cache
1.5GB DDR 400 RAM
400W PSU

Does the AI Booster do anything helpful, and/or are there any good overclock settings/drawbacks that anyone knows of

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
@ rickerb
Welcome :smile:
IMHO, I found the AI booster somewhat troublesome to use. It is meant for only small increases which mean little in realworld performance gains. The AIBooster doesn't have access to the BIOS settings that need adjusting when doing large OCs.

You may find some BIOS settings explanations from Adrian's BIOS Optimization Guide that may be helpful to you. P4C, P4P guide for noobs is a good read as well.

Looking at your posted specs I am going to suggest a better PSU. If you are going to OC much, you will benefit from a high quality PSU of 450 or more watts...NOT a generic PSU but a good name brand like Antec, Enermax, Seasonic, OCZ.

·
Registered
40 Posts
wow....
Nice tips from the guide :D

Tks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
IDE to SATA issue

one of the things I have noticed is that when I am copying large amounts of data from my 120 maxtor ide drive to the samsung 200 SATA any other app that is open lags bad. is this common? Is there anywhere I should be looking to try and solve this, as I had a p4s800-mx and ide to ide was fine, and did not lag anything

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
@ rickerb
If you are using your OS/programs drive in the large data transfer AND trying to access programs, you definitely will see some lag.
I would also recommend not multi-tasking if you are doing largescale transfers or downloads as that can lead to corrupt data when the data flow is interrupted. It is a HDD access issue where the HDD read head has to go back and forth trying to multitask.

Concerning the guide, there are several items I disagree with in the guide. Most are addressed in the entire thread, but the original post hasn't been updated to reflect the changes. But it is a good starting point. When tweaking your BIOS, just do one change at a time and then run benchmarks to see if there are improvements or not.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.