Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two seagate 250 gig HD's connected to the Intel SATA raid controller in raid 0. The system has been running fine until recently. The issue is that the system will slow to a hault, sometimes bluescreen, sometimes not. When the system reboots the intel raid controller reports that both drives are green but the raid has failed. I use ctrl-i to get into the config and it says i have a recoverable failure, if all drives listed are apart of the array say yes to repair. I hit repair, restart, goes right back into windows usually. When I get into windows there are no errors/warnings in the system event log or application event logs.

Unfortunatly this problem is occuring more frequently now, two or three times a week. The system has been fully reloaded twice. I have ran the seagate diagnostic utilities on the drives and both come up with no errors.

Now that I think about it, both times I got a blue screen i had to reload the whole system. The other times the system just froze and rebooted, repaired the array and got back into windows.

I am not doing anything when the failure occurs. The system was fine last night when I went to bed but when I woke up the system has raid failure. I have no automated processes that run in the background.

Using the drives from the Asus web site. I have not added any hardware recently, or ever since i put in the raid. I have added software such as adobe photoshop and trillian but that wouldnt be the problem.

System specs are as follows

Asus P4P800-E motherboard of course, P4 3.0GHz HT, 2GB Kingston Memory PC3200 I think, ATI Radeon 9800 Pro, Antec Neopower 480watt, Windows XP SP2 Fresh Install, not an upgrade, 2 seagate barracuda 7200 sata 250gig drives in raid 0 on the intel controller, 1 seagate barracuda 120 gig on the promise controller for backups due to the repeating raid failure :( the system is also on a APC 1000 backup battery.

The raid is partitioned to an 18 gig drive for the OS and the rest is one big partition for everything else.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As per the power consumption calculator my system uses 349 watts. I was unsure of the CPU so i went with the highest p4 on the list.

349 + 30% = 454watts. The numbers on that site are max wattage and from what i hear Antec PSU's are rock solid. Additionally the system is not under a load when it happens.

I will check into the Smart Drive setting when I get back home. What should it be set at?

Thank you all for your help thus far.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am running version 1009 of the bios and no where in there is anything about smart. I must be blind.

But I got back into windows and i have 4 errors in the system log this time then nothing till 7pm, which is when i got home and turned my system back on and went though the process i previously explained.

The error is:

The device, \Device\Ide\iaStor0, did not respond within the timeout period.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, so i found the smart monitoring option on the ide device configs, but i have none. everything is sata

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Klyptix said:
I have ran the seagate diagnostic utilities on the drives and both come up with no errors.
Did that too :) Quite a stumper eh?

Thinking of what I have missed, cause obviously I'm missing something. We'll figure it out eventually. Thank you for your help so far :)

Is there an upgrade for the intel raid bios perhaps? None is listed on the asus site.

·
Premium Member
78,002 Posts
in the bios on the main page click on primary ide master and then look down the bottom of the page

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Have you tried changing the Ide detect time? in the ide configuration. :4-dontkno
Page 4-13 of your manual.
Don't know if it will do any good but :4-dontkno .

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The time out was set to 35 sec, the max it could be. I changed the detect time from quick to normal and well see how that works.

I think that is just for boot though, to make sure all your HDD get detected but we will see. I am going to check my power managment also, perhaps something is screwy there.

More news to come! hehe

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.