Discussion Starter #1
My Rig :

Just PC Case ( ATX-425W-12V )
P4P800-Deluxe BIOS Rev 1010
Pentium 4 2.4 GHz
DDR 333 Mhz 256 Mb PNY
WD 80G HDD
LG CD-RW 8080B

CD-RW connected to secondary IDE. Short end of cable connected to CDRW, Long end to secondary IDE. CDRW jumper set to master. POST does not recognize drive, BIOS Setup does not recognise drive, Enter on "Secondary IDE Master" recognizes device, with message "A new device has been detected.Please Reboot.".

Problems
1. Cannot save this configuration. Next time in the BIOS Setup still shows [Not Detected] in secondary IDE Master slot.

2. BIOS SETUP does not allow use of CDRW as boot device.

Checked this forum and googled for this issue. Could not find a solution. Any suggestions to correct the problems ?

Thanks in advance
StrQST

·
Guru
1,315 Posts
On the BIOS Main screen, arrow-down to IDE Configuration and hit Enter. Another screen pops up. Here, what is the "IDE Detect Time Out (Sec)" set to? You might want to try doubling this, if it's not 35 already.

When you say "short end" of the cable you mean it's plugged into the far end of the cable end that has 2 connectors on it? Cable no longer than 18 inches? And did you try a different cable yet?

-clintfan

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Clintfan,

Thanks for the quick reply.
if it's not 35 already.
It is 35.

<grinning sheepishly> Short end meaning the end that has two connectors.</grinning sheepishly>

Cable no longer than 18 inches?
Have not checked this. Cable and CDRW are canibalized from a box where it was working.

And did you try a different cable yet?
Yes, both the current cable and the cable that came with the mobo.

I also tried swapping the CDRW to primary IDE, same symptoms occur. It is recognized in the BIOS main screen but not by boot up sequence.

Is there a known problem using LG CDRWs with P4P800 boards ?

StrQST

·
Guru
1,315 Posts
Is there a known problem using LG CDRWs with P4P800 boards ?
No, but "I have been having problems with my CD-RW Drive" is currently number 7 in the top 10 FAQ at the LG Electronics support website! :D (Actually they were talking about media incompatablity.) I found no useful up-to-date problem info at the site, not like this forum.

BIOS Setup still shows [Not Detected] in secondary IDE Master slot.
I also tried swapping the CDRW to primary IDE, same symptoms occur
It just sounds like you got a bad CDRW unit. I do realize it's probably brand new. Get them to replace it. You do have power to it, right

...It is recognized in the BIOS main screen but not by boot up sequence.
Are you just saying the PC just won't boot from the CD? Let's check something there.

Go back into BIOS setup, arrow-right to select the Boot screen. Go down and choose "Boot Device Priority". Now use +/- to juggle the values (it's a bit fiddly) until you have it set to this order: CD-Floppy-Hard Disk. F10 to save & exit. Now try booting the CD again. If it still doesn't work, I say your CD drive is bad.

On my mobo, which is slightly different than yours, this boot priority order was the only way I got the PC to boot from CD. The difference, though, is that my CD was visible in BIOS from the beginning, while you say yours is not.

BTW you don't say you have more than one optical drive, or more than one hard drive. So your Boot menu probably won't show a "Hard Disk Drives" menu choice or a "CD ROM Drives" menu choice. But if those menus are there, go in and use +/- make sure the devices you want to boot from are listed as "1st Drive" in both menus.

Let us know how it goes,

-clintfan

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Clintfan,

You were on the money !!! Again !! It was a bad CD-RW. Replaced it from another one lying around, and the board recognized it.

Thanks again. Would not have thought that the CD-RW was bad.

StrQST

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.