Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a new motherboard and CPU for my computer and i am having some problems with getting it to work correctly. I have installed 2 other asus motherboards and this is the first to give me problems. I can boot up with no error messages, i select which windows xp profile i want but then windows gives me a corrupt hard drive error. So i think to my self that i messed something up and my hard drive is broken. I put my old motherboard in and the hard drive works just fine. I reinstalled the new Mobo and upgraded the bios. At the boot up screen it says i have the new bios installed but when i go into the set up it says the version is 9 not 10.

windows xp
ibm 120gb harddrive master
WD 40gb slave
geforce ti4600
256mem since the new mobo only likes my 256 and not my gig, but thats another problem in its self.
intel 3.0ghz 800 fsb
plexwriter cdrw
generic dvd-rom

·
Guru
1,315 Posts
I reinstalled the new Mobo and upgraded the bios. At the boot up screen it says i have the new bios installed but when i go into the set up it says the version is 9 not 10.
The version you see in the setup is bogus, and is of little use to you. The version which appears during the POST display (when you hit DELETE shortly after powerup) is the version number which Asus refers to on their download site.

After you install any BIOS upgrade, you need to go back into BIOS Setup, visit the Exit screen, choose "Load Setup Defaults", and then reapply any custom settings you had made earlier against the previous version.

bought a new motherboard and CPU for my computer and i am having some problems with getting it to work correctly...I put my old motherboard in and the hard drive works just fine.
Right. The O/S on your HDD is configured to match the components internal to, and capabilities of, your old mobo. FWIW I have heard you cannot simply swap mobos without at least reinstalling the same O/S, probably on top of the installation you already had (which ought to preserve most of your data files & settings). The Device Manager hardware configuration will not be the same as before. New chipset and peripheral drivers need to be loaded, etc., etc., etc.. Backup settings & data files if you can, before trying the reinstall. Some folks would say wipe the partition clean first, so keep that in mind as an option.

-clintfan

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well that was a little more stress than it was worth. Once i read your post i relized this was the first time that i hadn't installed a new OS when i got the new motherboard. It fixed the problem thanks alot.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.