Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I kinda need some help. I bought new Motherboard (P4P88 Deluxe), new P4 2.6C, New 512 Ram and I cant get the computer to boot.
I have 2 HD that i am setting as master and slave correctly with the jumpers. The bios recognize them. But when trying to install win2k it wont finish the installation and tells me "no devices found" right after leaving the bios. Might be something to do with raid or SATA. I dont need any of those yet... just need my comp to work! with regular parallel settings, any ideas if this mobo is setup by default for raid? or SATA only? i tried to disable all that in the bios but didnt change anything. Any jumpers ob the mobo to change? I am kinda desperate... has been almost a week now and cant load anything on it.

Thanks a lot for the help!

·
Guru
1,315 Posts
I am kinda desperate... has been almost a week now
Well there might be a lot to cover. Grab a soda and sit down, this will take a while.

...Any jumpers on the mobo to change?...any ideas if this mobo is setup by default for raid? or SATA only?
No jumpers.
And no, the manual says it's not RAID by default, though my recollection is my P4C800-E did default to RAID, but we'll verify this later.
And not SATA only: by default the mobo supports up to 6 ATA devices off the ICH5R chip, and this will work for Win2K or WinXP, but only those two: older O/S's would require an IDE Configuration settings change.

I cant get the computer to boot. I have 2 HD that i am setting as master and slave correctly with the jumpers.... Might be something to do with raid or SATA. I dont need any of those yet...just need my comp to work! with regular parallel settings...
Let's start by double checking your cabling setup.
You said you're using the 2 HDD's (Hard Disk Drives) as master and slave. OK. I'll assume they're both regular IDE/ATA-100 drives, not SATA drives.

First check there is a power cable on each HDD.

Use a quality 80-conductor IDE cable, no longer than 18 inches maximum. Your mobo comes with 80- and 40-conductor cables in the box. The 80 is the smoother one.
Code:
PRI_IDE1 <-----------12 in.------------+-----6 in.---> Master HDD (O/S)
                                       |
                                       v  Slave HDD (data)
See the above diagram. Make sure the long end of your IDE cable is plugged into the "PRI_IDE1" connector on your mobo, not the other way around.
We will install the O/S to the master because that's the most standard.
So make sure the HDD you want the O/S on is strapped as Master and plugged into the cable's master connector, at the farthest end of the cable.
The other HDD, probably for your data, should be strapped as Slave and plugged into the slave connector about 6 inches before the end.
The O/S drive should probably be the smaller of the two.

Your optical drive(s) should be attached to a cable to the SEC_IDE1 port, since the VIA RAID controller does not support ATAPI devices (see section 2.8.4). Again, if you have only one drive, it has to be strapped as Master, and be on the end of the cable. Similar diagram as above.

Make a note of the model numbers of all drives, because the BIOS Setup screens will quote these numbers, as you know.

The bios recognize them....i tried to disable all that in the bios but didnt change anything.
Let's check this next.
Power up, wait a couple seconds, then hit Delete. Soon the BIOS setup screen will appear.

Since you are doing a fresh install, but were trying different BIOS settings, let's first make sure everything is factory-defaulted.
Arrow-right to visit the Exit screen. Arrow-down to choose "Load Setup Defaults" and hit Enter. Confirm yes if it asks you.
Now hit F10. Use the arrows to confirm Save settings and hit Enter.
The PC should reboot again. If not, wait 5-10 seconds then hit Ctrl+Alt+Delete to force a reboot.
After a few seconds, hit Delete.

The BIOS screen will appear again. You will be in the Main screen.
Let's confirm what the BIOS sees, and where.
The HDD at your cable's far end should appear as Primary IDE Master, it will probably be listed as mfg. name and model number.
The second HDD drive should appear as Primary IDE Slave.
Your optical drive(s) should appear as Secondary device(s).
(Since we defaulted the settings, you do not need to highlight and check any drive-specific settings-- they will all be Auto anyway, or mostly.)

But when trying to install win2k it wont finish the installation and tells me "no devices found" right after leaving the bios.
This can happen when your hard disks are blank, but they appear ahead of the CD in the Boot Device Order. Let's work on that next.

Still in the BIOS Main screen, arrow-down to IDE Configuration and hit Enter. This opens the IDE Configuration screen.
Here, for Win2K, the manual says it should be set as follows: Onboard IDE Operate Mode="Enhanced"; Enhanced Mode Support On="S-ATA" (yes that's right); Configure S-ATA As RAID="No"; leave the timeout at the 35 default.
Hit ESC to return to Main.

Now arrow-right to visit the Boot screen.
Arrow-down to Hard Disk Drives. This is a screen that appears when you have >=2 HDD's attached. Hit Enter. This opens a screen to set boot order of your drives.
Arrow-down to "2nd Drive" or "2nd Boot Device". Use +/- to set it to "Disabled". This doesn't "turn off" your HDD, you just only need to boot from one HDD, so you don't want other HDD's in your boot order.
Now Arrow-up to "1st Drive" or "1st Boot Device". Use +/- to set it to the drive that is your Primary Master, it will be listed with a name that begins with "PM-" followed by the mfg name or model number. Now hit ESC to exit and return to the Boot screen.

(You did not tell me anything about your optical drive(s). But assuming you only have, say, one CDROM attached to Secondary Master, you are fine.
If, however, you have >=2 optical drives, say a CDRW and DVD, then there will be another link on the Boot screen, "CD-ROM Devices"; you will need to visit this screen in similar fashion, and use +/- to position the drive you wish to always boot CD's from (like your Win2K install CD) as "1st Drive". You can use multiple opticals, but the BIOS can only boot the PC from the one you choose as "1st".)

Now Arrow-up to "Boot Device Priority". Hit Enter.
There will likely be 3 fields: 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Boot Device. Use +/- and arrow keys until you have the order set, top- to- bottom, to CD- Floppy- Hard Disk (the Hard Disk will have a PM model name, similar for the CD). This is a bit fiddly and make take you a few tries to get the right order. Hit ESC when you are done, to return to the Boot screen.

....cant load anything on it.
** At this point, insert the Win2k install CD into the optical drive you chose as the boot drive.

Now hit F10 and use the arrows to confirm to Save all changes and exit.
The PC should again reboot. If not, wait 5-10 seconds then hit Ctrl+Alt+Delete to force a reboot.

At this point your optical drive should wake up and start loading the Win2K install CD. 2K setup should find your Primary Master HDD and let you load stuff onto it.

Let me know how this all goes,

if you get into 2K and it still says no drives found, you might need to use FDISK to format your drives before applying 2K, I can look up some info about that tomorrow if you reply back.

-clintfan

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a lot for ur answer.
All my setups were the same as you told me, the cable were proper and the bios setups too.
But now when I restart and load through the cd I get an error b4 the windows installation starts:
" Disk I/O error status: 00008020
failed to arc read the boot partition to check for a signature"
Then the windows install loads and entering the install it tells me again :
" Disk I/O error 00008020"
The installation starts, windows can see all my HD and my partitions (I have a 20gb quantum Hd set as the master with 2 partitions on it: 15gb and 5 gb; the second HD is maxtor 80 gb with 3 partitions: 35-30-15 gb each)
I start to install windows on my master drive on the 15 gb partitions and I ask to format the drive to make sure everything is clean on it, which it does fine. Then it restarts, still giving the 2 errors I told you about b4 and I start to install windows on it. All works fine until the restart part where it is supposed to load windows and to ask me for time zone, cd key... It doesnt get to that part. Still loads asking me if I want to install the first part of windows. It is like a circle. Nothing else I can do.
Do you have any more suggestions?

Thanks a lot again.

a_nin_girl

·
Registered
207 Posts
If by chance Clintfan's excellent post does not fix the hard drive issue. Then I would disconnect the hard drive that will not be the boot drive, then load Win2000. Then after you have Win2000 loaded and working. Shut down the system and connect the second hard drive. After the second drive is connected. Go into Bios and set the hard drive boot order so that the primary OS drive is looked at first and the secondary (data) drive is looked at last. I am using the same motherboard and OS combo and that is how I was able to get it working for me.

Also the "error" stating "no devices found" isn't really an error at all. That is the Promise Raid controller stating that it can't find a hard drive to access. Again go into Bios and "Disable" the Promise Raid controller. That will eliminate that message and allow you to load the OS directly.

Clintfan, Asus should be paying you some serious cash for all the boards you saved from being RMA'ed. :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks a lot Javora.

I also tried to install windows with only the Master drive and i still get the same error. and then again windows install doesnt load completly.

a_nin_girl

·
Registered
207 Posts
Can you tell me exactly what the error message says? Is it "no devices found” followed by on the next line, "no Bios installed"? If the error states what I just typed in quotes then disabling the Promise controller should do the trick. Even with this message I was able to install Win2000 on the hard drive. So if this is the case then ignore the "error" and continue on. As the no devices/Bios installed message isn't causing the problem.

Also what Bios version are you running? If you are running Bios version 1006~8 then flash your Bios to version 1011 using the AFUDOS.exe program. I couldn't even get Win2000 to load until I flashed my Bios. Hope this helps.

·
Guru
1,315 Posts
No, not many other ideas, sorry. From the sound of that I/O error, you're having other problems. At least we know your setup is correct. I do agree about disconnecting the extra drive during the install.

I did a search at Microsoft KB under Windows 2000 and it turned up Disk I/O Error Occurs When You Start Setup from the Installation CD-ROM or a Floppy Disk . It does not sound exactly like your problem since you didn't say you have a Zip drive.

Can you swap HDD's? Put your 35-30-15 HDD on as the master, and try installing Win2K to the first partition on that. Of course, if this drive has data you want to keep this won't be an option. But if not, then if it works, it points to the other drive as having a problem.

If you do decide to update the BIOS, please see this thread, Asus P4P800/P4C800 Series: How to Update BIOS .

-clintfan

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Unfortunatly on my 80 gb there is 70 gb of precious info and i cant install win2k on it. I also have the version 1010 of the bios. I guess I was doing everything the right way and i still cant get it to work.

I also have another 10gb HD in an old comp. This HD had win 2k on it working fine, when i saw that the 20gb might be damage i tried loading the 10 and boot the new comp. Nothing happened, the bios saw it but it never loaded the win2k that was installed on it. When i put back this HD into my old comp, the whole thing was gone. No info, no windows on it, and never let me again install win2k... had to install win98 on it. kinda weird too.

Anyway thanks for your help both of you!

a_nin_girl

·
Guru
1,315 Posts
The installation starts, windows can see all my HD and my partitions (I have a 20gb quantum Hd set as the master with 2 partitions on it: 15gb and 5 gb...
Everything I can find suggests Win2K can install onto an existing partition previously formatted using any of the usual file system formats: NTFS, FAT32, or FAT. However, there still might be something funny about the boot sector on that 20GB drive that's messing up your install. If you don't need the data on that drive, I'd delete all the partitions on it and let Win2K start over. I've never installed Win2K, but the Microsoft KB suggests it probably works the same as XP installs, letting you partition and format the drive very early during the install.

Otherwise at this point I'd just go buy a new drive, like maybe a 120-GB Maxtor 6Y120P0. Here they are going for about $80 US after rebate. Partition the first 20480MB (20GB, or less) of that for your O/S C-drive and leave the rest for data. After the install, attach you rother drives too. You're so close to getting this working, that one way or another you will succeed, and an old 20GB HDD won't be of that much use in the long run.

-clintfan

p.s. I can't understand how the mobo corrupted your other 10GB drive, that makes no sense at all.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks a lot Clintfan. I actually sent my comp back to the store where i bought the parts. They will set it up for free if there is something damaged or if not it will cost me 30$ US, so it is not worth being a week over this thing, losing everybody's time and your too. We did all we could... now they deal with it.
I also tried today my 20gb with my old comp, the drive is fine... but wont install win2k anymore on it, gives me a weird blue screen flash and restarts the comp... oh well. I will tell you what was wrong as soon as I get my comp back and hopefully it might help someone else with similar problems.

Thanks again.

a_nin_girl

p.s: i am buying a new HDD anyway... need more space!

·
Registered
207 Posts
a_nin_girl said:
Unfortunatly on my 80 gb there is 70 gb of precious info and i cant install win2k on it. I also have the version 1010 of the bios. I guess I was doing everything the right way and i still cant get it to work.

I also have another 10gb HD in an old comp. This HD had win 2k on it working fine, when i saw that the 20gb might be damage i tried loading the 10 and boot the new comp. Nothing happened, the bios saw it but it never loaded the win2k that was installed on it. When i put back this HD into my old comp, the whole thing was gone. No info, no windows on it, and never let me again install win2k... had to install win98 on it. kinda weird too.

Anyway thanks for your help both of you!

a_nin_girl
That 10Gb hard drive won't be able to load Win2000 because the installed Win2000 on that drive is configured to the computer that the drive came from and not the new system. Format that 10Gb drive and try to install Win2000 in the new system. Just make sure there is nothing you need to save on that 10Gb drive before you format.

As if you haven't guessed this motherboard is fussy as... well you know. Anyway, try connecting that 10Gb drive back up to the motherboard and put the Win2000 CD into the system. Boot the system and pick "... using CD Rom support". Then try to use Win2000 to format the drive. If that doesn't work then if you can, find a format program from the hard drive manufacturer's web site that made that 10Gb drive and format it that way. If you can't find the format program off a web site, try and find a Win98 boot disk. When you do, I go step by step with you on how to wipe that drive clean. a_nin_girl, if this doesn't work, then I think at this point you should call Asus for a return or an exchange. I know this is not what you want to hear right now after spending a good chunk of cash on this motherboard, but I'm about out of options myself. If you need Asus information just click here. Good luck and I hope this time your motherboard issues gets resolved.

To Clintfan: Do you think that this series motherboards has a problem sorting out multiple drives and multiple partitions? I can't be the only person thinking this way and I'd like to hear your input.

·
Registered
207 Posts
clintfan said:
I've never installed Win2K, but the Microsoft KB suggests it probably works the same as XP installs, letting you partition and format the drive very early during the install.

-clintfan

p.s. I can't understand how the mobo corrupted your other 10GB drive, that makes no sense at all.
Partitioning and formatting is like the second or third thing that Win2000 install CD goes through during installation. IIRC you press F6 or F8 then Win2000 goes into partitioning and formatting.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well got the solution to the problems...
The HDD are f***ed... or damaged...
The IDE cables were forced and one of the pin is pushed in. Will cost me 50$ to repair it, if the guy can do it. If not a new HDD.

Hopefully after that everything will work fine.
I will keep in touch.

a_nin_girl

·
Guru
1,315 Posts
To Clintfan: Do you think that this series motherboards has a problem sorting out multiple drives and multiple partitions? I can't be the only person thinking this way and I'd like to hear your input. -Javora
Well I run 4 drives and 6 partitions on my P4C800-E and it's been no problem. So no, I don't think there's an issue like that.

-clintfan

·
Guru
1,315 Posts
Well got the solution to the problems...The IDE cables were forced and one of the pin is pushed in. Will cost me 50$ to repair it, if the guy can do it. If not a new HDD. -a_nin_girl
Good for you! That's awesome! I love it when a real cause is found. And you knew when to call it quits and take it to an expert. That was some $30 well spent! (Plus the fix cost, of course). That's great!

It sounds like it's the HDD that's damaged, not the mobo. Indeed if that's true, your $50 might be better spent toward a new HDD. As it is, they only last a few years anyway.

Do let us know how it goes...

-clintfan

·
Registered
207 Posts
I'm glad the problem was found a_nin_girl and I hope your system is working soon. This P4C800-E motherboard has had so many problems that I almost take it for granted that whenever there is an issue involving that motherboard, that I look at the motherboard first. I'm sorry that I led you down the wrong path. I agree with Clintfan that you would be better off with a new hard drive. Besides Serial ATA hard drives are much easer to work with. Good luck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok, wrinting now from my new comp, all working and super fast!

Just wanted to thank both of you for the precious help you gave me.

Thanks again

a_nin_girl

·
Registered
5 Posts
i have a p4p800 delux too. And it seems im having the same problems. I have a single sata drive that i want to load windows on to, i have no paralell drives.

I have done EVERYTHING i think!!

I disconnected and reconnected cords, installed every driver i can think of.

When set to no raid, it comes up as primary device 3 wd1200, when i goto windows and install the promise sata drivers, it gives me a partmgr.sys error,

When i set it to raid, and install the intel raid drivers with f6, it says it cannot find the hd!

Ive done scsi raid before and i had to go into the raid options and set what kind of raid i wanted, ect. And i had to format the drive.

But i dont see a utility of this kind on the asus disk, and i dont see any option in bios.

Thanx for the help!

Sys specs:

*MSI Cr52-m cd-rw
*Intel pentium 4 2.6ghz 800mhzfsb w/ ht
*Mitsumi 7-in-1 usb 2.0 media drive (includes floppy)
*Asus p4p800 deluxe i865pe mb w/ sata
*Kingston Kvr400x64c3ak2/1g 1gb kit ddr400 pc3200 memory
*Western Digital Caviar SE WD1200JD 120gb Serial ata
7200rpm hd w/ 8mb buffer
*Nvidia Quadro 4 980 xgl videocard
*WindowsXP Home Edition

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.