Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

my motherboard has bios 1004 and i noticed that asus certifies p4 2.60c since bios version 1009 only.

Di I really need to update ? It seems to me that the cpu is correctly recognized...

And about usb problems... I read that many persons have problems hot plugging some devices, or the system can see them only if connected after booting, well I have these problems too but I found a solution.

The problems started after intalling the 822603 update suggested by Microsoft (another windows update problem... :(

After de-installing it the usb ports gave no more problems... but... you can't really de-install that update, the system simply rolls back to a previously saved-point and you loose all the modifications applied since the update.

The alternative is disabling the legacy support, but for other reasons I couldn't do that.

I would like someones opinion on these issues.

Thanks and excuse me for my bad English.

Lucio

·
Guru
1,315 Posts
my motherboard has bios 1004 and i noticed that asus certifies p4 2.60c since bios version 1009 only. Do I really need to update ? It seems to me that the cpu is correctly recognized...
Well in your situation this would be just a matter of opinion. There are those who would say you should update just because... well, because you can. I say, go pull the new BIOS version and sit on it in case you need it in the future. Your BIOS is doing all you want it to today, and you have workarounds for your other USB problems, so just use your computer as-is, and be happy.

Your BIOS 1004 is so old, it doesn't even show up in the BIOS history. And there's no readme file with it, so I cannot give you much in the way of definite advice. Clearly there are some important fixes and features added in 1009 & 1010, but sometimes those fixes can be for bugs introduced by the mfgr. in other intermediate versions. So like I said, unless you have some pressing issue you nead to solve, sit tight. You can always update later.

Hope this helps,
note others may disagree with this stance.

-clintfan

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks,

I think that it's better not to update the bios if there are no big problems too :)

But could someone explain what microsoft update 822603 really does?

According to MS it fix some problems with wake-up but in my opinion it changes completely the usb 2.0 drivers.

In my system I got "standard enhanced usb controller" and not Intel enhanced 2.0 ........

Maybe I lost usb 2.0?

There are four Intel 82801eb controllers and five (5!) hub usb, is this normal?

·
Registered
207 Posts
The people having problems with USB seem to be running WinXP. I've posted this before but I am going to post this again here since so many people seem to be having problems with USB. Hope this helps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.