Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
P4P800 messed up bios ID help me!

Hello, I recently was attempting to upgrade my bios to the newest current version because it would take about 3 minutes for it to boot into windows XP and sometimes it wouldn't recognize the hard drive. I used AFUDOS to update it and it kept giving me invalid ID number so I got pissed off and typed in afudos /i "newbios" /o "saved bios" /rs which makes it ignore the ID number. So i restart it and it friggen doesn't even load the monitor stays dead and when I turn my speakers up it says system failure due to over clocking. I can't see anything at all, I'm wondering if there are jumpers on the motherboard I can reset with, because I didn't overclock anything.

·
Guru
1,315 Posts
I used AFUDOS to update it and it kept giving me invalid ID number...
What do you mean by ID number? Do you recall the exact message it was giving you?

typed in afudos /i "newbios" /o "saved bios" /rs
Please see Asus P4P800/P4C800 Series: How to Update BIOS for full details, including how to create a BIOS auto-recovery floppy in case you need to update the BIOS itself using that method.

I would recommend doing the /o operation first, then do a separate run using the /i operation-- not do them together. No blanks between the /o and the save filename, or /i and the update filename, and no quotes.

??I don't know about the /rs, where did you find out about this option?

I'm wondering if there are jumpers on the motherboard I can reset with, because I didn't overclock anything.
Yes. Behind the middle PCI slot connector, toward the front of the computer there should be a header marked "CLRTC1" with a jumper on pins 1-2 (on the end toward the PCI slots). The procedure to clear the CMOS is as follows, this comes from your Asus mobo manual sec. 2.7.1,
  1. Turn OFF the computer, unplug the power cord, and wait 15 seconds for backup power down (green LED goes OFF).
  2. Remove the battery.
  3. Move the jumper from pins 1-2 to 2-3. (away from the PCI slots) and leave it there for 10 seconds. Then move it back to 1-2.
  4. Reinstall the battery.
  5. Plug in the power cord and turn ON the computer.
  6. Hold down the DELETE key during boot to enter BIOS setup.
  7. Visit the Exit screen, choose Load Setup Defaults, then re-enter all your BIOS data custom settings. Hit F10 to save & exit.[/list=1]
    Hope this helps,
    I did not know about the remove-the-battery part.

-clintfan

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
ID number

What I mean is when I try to install the bios update without using a name such as /i"P4P1010.ROM" it would say ROM ID not compatible or something of that similiarity when I tried to put the new one on. So what I did was instead of changing the filename so it wouldn't be invalid I put in /rs at the end of it which is supposed to not check for ID numbers. So it went through its thing and installed P4PS1001.ROM instead of using p4p1010.rom not sure if it matters at all but what happened after I had the new bios installed was I restarted and it goes through all the motions like a good startup except the monitor won't come on now and it was saying "System Failure due to Overclocking processor" through my speakers. I reset the CMOS like 30times now, if I could get the monitor to come on I could restore the old bios but nothing I'm trying is making it come on. I changed out graphics cards monitors, something has to be telling it not to display maybe with the new bios?

*EDIT* I just looked at the page I got the options from its /nr not /rs not sure where I got RS from.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/computer/topic/6230-1.html

·
Guru
1,315 Posts
...a name such as /i"P4P1010.ROM"
Sorry I have only dumb comments to make this time, grasping at straws here...
  • BIOS files downloaded from Asus are in ZIP format. Make sure you unzip the file before passing it to the AFUDOS tool.
  • Make sure you are NOT using the quote-marks with this command. To update, the command should look exactly like this, with one embedded blank coming after the exe:

afudos.exe /iP4P800.ROM
  • The correct auto-recovery filename for your mobo is supposed to be P4P800.ROM according to the manual, and the same filename is also used for the Deluxe according to its manual. This name also appears at the end of the BIOS binary itself, and Asus even lists the file as "P4P800 Deluxe and P4P800 BIOS V1010". So this name does seem to be right. No other mobos share a filename, though!

But the filename within the ZIP is P4P81010.AMI. I find the file-extension difference a bit odd. So maybe you could try the name P4P800.AMI instead? I doubt it will make any difference.
That's all my ideas for now,

-clintfan

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oh well

Thanks for trying man appreciate it. I did all of that stuff you just said too but even if I could restore the bios the monitor still doesn't come on and it won't post to it. Somewhere along the way something had to fault and it's shot now. I'm just going to send it back and get a new one. I was hoping there was something else to reset besides the CMOS so I could actually see it post and enter setup in bios and try to restore it but no luck it appears.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I had some troubles with typing the correct line to flash my BIOS, and it took me a few tries.
Can you at least boot up a startup disk to DOS?

This is what I did:
Create a DOS boot diskette
Put afudos onto the disk
Put the latest unzipped BIOS onto the disk
Rename the BIOS file to P4P800.ROM
Boot disk
Type the following at the A> in DOS:
afudos /i<P4P800.ROM>

If that doesn't work, try typing:
afudos /iP4P800.ROM

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
=(

Believe me man if I could get into bios or dos I wouldn't have posted on this board. It does not post to the monitor anymore period. I thought there was something else I could reset besides the CMOS with the jumpers on the board but it appears something went out on the motherboard or processor.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Must've fried the BIOS chip...
:(

Asus really needs to make things perfectly clear what to type when flashing BIOS...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Probably

That's probably what happened, it was working good for a day too. I should have left it alone but didn't like how it hung and took longer than it should to load into windows but once it got into windows it ran fast.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.