Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I turn this beast on I'd think it would load into Windows a lot faster than it is now. It literally takes about 5 minutes before the Windows XP loading screen even appears, I'm wondering if there is anything I can do to fix this. I know something isn't right I can boot my P4 1.6ghz Laptop 3x before this one even loads.

Any suggestions?

This thing should be booting in like 15 seconds for how fast its supposed to be.

·
Registered
10 Posts
VanMan,

You may want to use a little program "BootVis" which is a boot process analyzer (originally published by Microsoft).

If you do a Google search for BootVis you will find plenty of places to download from.

It also has an option 'optimize bootprocess' that uptimizes your bootprocess (duh).

Although your problem sounds more fundamental, this utility may help you analyze where the delay is exactly....

·
Registered
376 Posts
Your power supply is too small. I'm using my psychic abilities to determine this since you failed to list any useful specs regarding the P4P800 system. I assume you have a processor, power supply, some DDR memory, and a graphics card?

Also, load up the Asus Probe and tell us the temperatures, fan speeds, and power readings. This way we can rule out heat and power problems. I hope your power supply is at least 400W.

After we check out all this, we can go into BIOS to adjust some settings to allow much faster boots.
:D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Weird

It worked for about 2 weeks besides the slow boot and then I went to turn it on one day and it said "system failure cpu test failed" over the speakers. My power supply is 500 watts, I figured I blew out either the motherboard or processor when this happened so I went and got a new motherboard nothing worked, went and got a new processor nothing worked. Then when I lost all hope and was about to break stuff I decided to plug it into an old 300 watt power supply i had sitting around the house. It boots up perfectly fine, the 5 minute delay is gone, so I run to the store and get a 420watt power supply now it runs perfect I have no complaints whatsoever. So all along there was something defective in my 500watt powersupply that would allow the computer to run perfeclty fine except for the slow boot. I've never seen this happen before. Hopefully if you're having the same problem you think to check your power supply.

P4P800 Deluxe Bios V1010
P4 2.4ghz 800mhz FSB Hyperthreading Technology
1gig Atlas Precision DDR400 Ram
256MB Geforce 5900
Some crappy 40 gigabyte HD

Those are the basic specs of this system Im too lazy to open it back up again and look and see what I bought again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.