Discussion Starter #1
My current setup:

P4C800E Deluxe with the lastest BIOS from Asus
HyperX 1G DDR400 - KHX3200K2/1G
WD1200 SATA RAID 0 with the lastest Promise drvier from Asus
Vantec ION 400W Power Supply
GForce 4 MX 440 Video Card
LiteOn 40X CD writer

I have problem install windows XP, it either hang or give me a "fatal error." I can never complete the installation. I have try to use other Windows XP CD, same thing happens.

CAN ANYONE HELP?????

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply!

Yes, I did fomatted the array. The windows is in the installation process copying files already . . . until when it try to restart, it will restart the PC and going back into the installation. What else can I check?

·
Registered
376 Posts
Are the BIOS set up correctly for the Promise controller to boot up its onboard BIOS?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I have it set up correctly in the BIOS, I have it set to RAID [Enable] . . . and the boot sequence CD-ROM, Floppy, and HD array . . .

I am thinking about more more towards the memory . . . anyone know how to setup the BIOS for memory timming, or leave it at [AUTO]???

·
ID10T Circuit replacement
1,038 Posts
Have you removed the cd after it reboots?
Before it fully boots again.

When it tells you it is going to reboot, remove the cd and then let it reboot.

·
Guru
1,315 Posts
I have problem install windows XP, it either hang or give me a "fatal error." I can never complete the installation...I did fomatted the array. The windows is in the installation process copying files already . . . until when it try to restart, it will restart the PC and going back into the installation...in the BIOS, I have it set to RAID [Enable] . . . and the boot sequence CD-ROM, Floppy, and HD array
I have several questions for you, please bear with me as we try to figure out what's happening, and how far through you rinstall you have gone. This may be just a start...

A. Which version of XP are you trying to install: Home or Professional?

B. Here is a basic sequence of XP Pro setup.
??Please tell me between which two steps your error occurs,

1. Boot from the CD
2. Welcome to setup
3. Press F6 to load RAID drivers (you do this)
4. Licensing agreement (then hit F8)
5. HDD partitioning
6. Partition formatting (long time)
7. Copying files (long time)
8. Create info files.
9. -- Your computer will reboot in 15 seconds --
10. Windows XP black flag screen during boot
11. Collecting information
12. Dynamic update
13. Preparing installation
14. Installing Windows (long time)
15. Region and Language options (choose your language)
16. Personalize your software (enter your name)
17. Your Product Key (25 characters)
18. Computer Name and administrator password
19. Date and time settings
20. more Installing Windows (installing network)
21. networking setup
22. more Installing Windows (copying files)
23. -- system reboots again --
24. Windows XP black flag screen during reboot
25. adjust display settings
26. log on
27. applying computer settings
28. clouds and green hills background
29. tour, etc.

C. What is the complete and exact error message that XP gives you when the failure occurs? (We may be able to look up the exact phrase at Microsoft.)

D. Is this a fresh installation on blank HDD's, or are you upgrading from an earlier rev of Windows which was previously on your HDD's? I know you said you formatted, but I've heard that doesn't always get rid of everything. Most of the "Fatal error references at the Microsoft knowledge base relate to upgrades.

-clintfan

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Most of the time, it will reboot (step 23 from your message), then it will go back into setup again (it didn't boot from CD) . . . it will keep repeating this step until it give me the fatal error, "the setup data is corrupted" or sometimes it will just freeze b4 it even get to this step . . . it never finish the installation. The funny thing is . . . everytime the error message is different, depends on where it hangs.

I have tried to remove the CD during the reboot too . . . it didn't work . . . it will ask for the CD again.

This is a fresh installation, I formatted the drive with the Data Lifeguard Tools V.11.0 from WD. One time during the windows installation, I have it formatted it again (not the QUICK format) from Windows.

Thank you very much for helping me guys! Your help are greatly appreciated!!!

·
Guru
1,315 Posts
(step 23 from your message), then it will go back into setup again (it didn't boot from CD) . . . it will keep repeating this step until it give me the fatal error, "the setup data is corrupted"
Wow! So it really gets quite far through the setup.

This is a fresh installation, I formatted the drive with the Data Lifeguard Tools V.11.0 from WD.
Because you are using XP there is no need to use Data Lifeguard, AFAIK. I'm wondering if maybe that is your problem. I'm not sure how to undo what that has done, though.

I guess I don't have any great ideas right now. But at least others now know how far you've got.

-clintfan

·
Registered
1 Posts
HyperX

Hi,

I was thinking of getting the same mobo/memory combination as you but I have heard stories that the HyperX memory is not compatible with this Asus motherboard.

It can be made compatible by fiddling about with the DDR voltage settings in the BIOS, I believe, but that is beyond my expertise. A minimum of 2.85V needs to be set.

Do let me know how you get on. I don't want to spend £230 on HyperX memory if it won't work!

Good luck!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.