Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
i have a p4c800-e deluxe rev 2 board which i flashed to the latest bios version (1023) but now it refuses to boot unless i clear the cmos, otherwise it says "cpu overclock failed" through the speakers
when i do reset the cmos, it boots first time, but if i reset it, or change any bios options and save and restart it refuses to boot again. I can boot from a cd and i have run memtest for 12 hours successfully, i have changed graphics cards and ram and my psu (antec 550) shouldnt be a problem.
it is also outside the case and only the cdrom drive and power cables are plugged into it
I have read into the bad solder issue on the back of the board and i have checked, but i didnt see anything suspicious, i also read somewhere that apparently it was fixed with the revision 2 boards
any help/ideas/suggestions would be much appreciated!
thanks

G

·
bad solder is not always easy to detect. you should have 1 year warranty on it. I would ask it to be replaced if i were you.

· Premium Member
2,443 Posts
Chances are you need to adjust your memory timings and fsb in the bios to get the OC warning to go away. I would also double check that the clear rtc (clr CMOS) jumper is installed and not missing....and in the correct position, finally consider replacing the cmos battery.

· Registered
25,266 Posts
Hi,

Might take a look at a few possiblities. No guarantees, but what can you lose:

Try it with only one stick of ram and see what happens. (check your manual to make sure which dimm slot it goes in, because many of the newer boards do not use dimm1 as the slot for one stick)

Make sure the Hyperthreading bus frequency is at 800 and not 1000. I recently worked with one that had the frequency automatically set by the board to 1000 after it was cranked up....would not work...

Third, if that does not work, then turn hyperthreading off and try it.

Report back with results.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
success!!!!!! :grin: :grin: :grin:

it turns out i had 2 pairs of ram that were both incompaitble with the motherboard, so i tried yet another pair, and hey presto! it all works again!!
after that i took the oppertunity to flash the original bios back on, as it overclocks better :grin:

thanks a bunch for your support guys, much appreciated!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.