Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi...I'm new to this forum....just found it....and I have the Asus P4c 800-E duluxe motherboard....and have just put a system together.... my first!! Would like you guys to look at what I have before I power up....and make suggestions if needed.
Motherboard:Asus p4c800_e Deluxe
CPU: P4 2.8G 800 fsb
Case: Lain-Li PC68
PSU: Antec Truepower 480
CD: Plexor
DVD: Sony
Floppy:Sony
3 HDD: 1 ATA 120 Gig...2 S-ATA 120 Gig Maxtor
Sound: Onboard
Video: PNY Geforce FX 5200 AGP

Connections
PCI Slots: All empty
Pri IDE: master...HDD 1
Sec IDE: master...plextor CDRW, Slave Sony DVDRW
SATA1: HDD 2 Maxtor 120G
SATA2: HDD 3 Maxtor 120G

Do you see any problems with this setup? Also the Antec 480 PSU has a "Fan Only" connector....should I hook up my 3 case fans to this connector? Or just a regular molex?.....The PSU also has a connector with Blue and Black wires thats labeled "PSU Fan Monitor Connector" where should this be connected to the Mobo?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and advice!!

Would like to add this to the working P4c800 thread.

Fotoman

·
Guru
1,315 Posts
the Antec 480 PSU has a "Fan Only" connector....should I hook up my 3 case fans to this connector? Or just a regular molex?
I take advantage of the Fan-Only connector. Keep in mind this Antec connector supports 3 fans maximum, so don't go attaching any more than that.

I looked at the PC68 quite a bit. I liked the front-mounted screen filter. The case specs say there is a "Fan Speed Controller" (which should be nothing more than a little 3-position slider switch with some resistors), but I can't see it on the spec drawing-- no great surprise. If you are using the Fan-Only connector with any fans that go to such a speed control, be sure to leave that switch set on "High" speed, otherwise the extra resistance could confuse the Antec, concerning how it drives the other fans.

The PSU also has a connector with Blue and Black wires thats labeled "PSU Fan Monitor Connector" where should this be connected to the Mobo?
Connect it to the little header connector on the mobo, between the CPU and the back of the parallel port, it's labelled "PWR_FAN". Notice the center wire is not used, thus these wires are only being used to receive a fan-rotations signal coming from the supply, not to actually drive a supply fan.

Would like you guys to look at what I have before I power up....and make suggestions if needed...SATA1: HDD 2 Maxtor 120G; SATA2: HDD 3 Maxtor 120G
Well, what are you going to use this machine for? That could dictate where these two SATA drives would best be connected. Were you going to run them in a RAID mode, or as standalone drives?

Do you see any problems with this setup?
No, not really. Looks fine. You didn't mention your memory.

Be sure to apply the Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility as the first thing after you get through the initial XP install.

-clintfan

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Clintfan for the reply. The PC68 case does have a front slider switch for the 2 front fans, I'll keep it on high. I can't say enough about the case....made building this system ALOT easier.

I was ALMOST positive that is where the Fan Monitor would plug in....even had it on that header once....but wasn't sure...so I took it back off. Thanks....now I will feel better turning the power on.

Were you going to run them in a RAID mode, or as standalone drives?
Opps forgot to mention that....all will be standalone drives. The machine will be used for manageing / editing lots of photographs in big files..usually 5meg to 250meg. OS on the IDE drive...with some other office documents....Photoshop and Painter on one of the S_ATA's and the other S-ATA as a temp storage/backup of the photos, until I can burn CD/DVD of the files, then delete... is kinda the workflow.

You didn't mention your memory
Kingston 512 PC3200 x 2......I had thought of adding 2 more of these....to bump it up to 2gig .....is that over kill? I want this machine to last a few years.....and work as fast as possible with it....sometimes when I photograph 1 wedding for instance...might have 250-300 images to rotate ....size...etc....a couple seconds per image can save me lots of time in the long run.

Thanks again,

Fotoman

·
Guru
1,315 Posts
Kingston 512 PC3200 x 2......I had thought of adding 2 more of these....to bump it up to 2gig .....is that over kill? I want this machine to last a few years
It's up to you. It was recommended to me that 1G is plenty. As mem is cheap, I recently went ahead and bought another 1G, but I haven't installed it. I suspect unless you find yourself doing a lot of realtime video editing, 1G will be enough for you too.

all will be standalone drives. The machine will be used for manageing / editing lots of photographs in big files..usually 5meg to 250meg. OS on the IDE drive...with some other office documents....Photoshop and Painter on one of the S_ATA's and the other S-ATA as a temp storage/backup of the photos, until I can burn CD/DVD of the files, then delete... is kinda the workflow.
The thing to realize about the ICH5R Southbridge chip in your mobo is that PCI and IDE have separate paths to memory. Another way of saying this is traffic by your Southbridge IDE controllers will have little effect on traffic over your PCI bus. You can maximize your system throughput if you take advantage of this fact, through careful placement of your data.

If you hang all your data off the Southbridge, its IDE controller will have to handle all traffic going in and out of temp storage, as well as all traffic going in and out of data storage, plus O/S and VM. It can handle it, but this might not be the most efficient setup. Conversely if you hang some data off the Promise, which is on PCI, there will be less traffic through the Southbridge IDE controller.

Based on your data flow it seems to me better to attach your work SATA drive to the Promise SATA_RAID1 port. Now when you open a photo the data will flow off SATA_RAID1, through PCI, and into memory, or virtual memory on PRI_IDE. When saving the photo, it will go the other way. With very little contention for devices or busses.

The temp SATA is a different story. You have some choices there, but hopefully this temp is less critical than your main data. Anyway here's my recommendation: attach your temp SATA to the Southbridge SATA1 port.

Also, in the CD burning software choose a "disk-at-once (DAO)" option, "make a copy first" option, or similar option. Configure the burner's temporary storage area down on your SATA_RAID1 work drive. Now when you burn, the CD software first copies your burn files to the temporary storage area: this data flows through Southbridge SATA1, to PCI, to SATA_RAID1, to the temporary storage on your work drive. Once everything's buffered there, it pulls back from the work drive, through SATA_RAID1, PCI, to memory, then into Southbridge SEC_IDE.

With this setup, copy's from work-to-temp are also efficient, because the flow is from PCI to Southbridge, similar to when you load a photo for editing.

Hope this helps, some of it is design ideas for my own rig, which is very similar to yours, and some of it I've learned by running some basic CD burner performance tests.

-clintfan

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
WOW!! Thanks for the reply....and explaining the different Highways.....I will print out your reply Clintfan....and study it closely...you have opened my eyes....( I really didn't know all the paths for data)....I will make the changes if you don't think its to late.

I have not done anything to the 2 drives that are on SATA 1 and 2...I do see them in explore....and manage.

I have powered up....and all went well...I partioned the Main Drive 30 gig for system. And applied the Intel utilities update immediately.....THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THAT TIP....I would have NEVER done that FIRST!! Everything is working GREAT!! No yellow ? marks in device manager....this is just to cool!! I love this Mobo....not a minute of a problem so far.

So far:

The build that I have explained.
Power up....and go thru BIOS.
Install XP Pro
Install Intel Chipset Utilities
Install SP1a (mostly criticial)

And do a big ole dance!!

No problems here yet....still gots lots to check...USB...etc.....but I'm one happy dude right now.

I want to thank You big time!! And everyone else here that contribuites.....I found this forum a couple days before I put my system together....I had already done my research (read reviews till my eyes crossed)....and purchased parts....then I found this forum...and thought.......WELL!....I had made the worst mistake.....Ya got to have a Great foundation (MOBO) and I thought maybe I had made a mistake.....I hate to celebrate to much....But ....DANG...not a HINT of a problem.

If this holds out till all is checked out....I will post everythng in the working p4c800-e thread.

Thanks,
Fotoman

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.