Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

May be I found a solution (one of) for P4C800 deluxe
I hope you will excuse my English …which is very French!

I run XP PRO on a P4P800 with P4C 2.4 GHZ, bios 1011, HT on, turbo auto.

Result, a lot of unexplained and permanent crashes, especially concerning peripherals and the USB.
In spite of the files that I sent to them, Microsoft was incapable to localize the problem.

After three weeks, I was a little depressed …

I installed chipset update from Intel as Clintfan said. (Thank you to him for all the help that he brings !).

Result, always the same problems.

I decided to disable HT and to choose a uniprocessor mode:

( Expressions are those of the French XP version translated into English, but I hope that you will understand)

Settings \ control panel \ system \ hardware \ device manager \ by connection \ PC multi-processor ACPI
Choose to change pilot \ choose in a list \ no search, choose in a list
Select PC with advanced interface ACPI

Reboot

Restart and make inverse operation :

Bios, HT enabled

Settings \ control panel \ system \ hardware \ device manager \ by connection \ PC with advanced interface ACPI
Change pilot \ choose in a list \ no search, choose in a list
In the list, choose PC multi-processor ACPI.

Reboot

It seems that XP PRO was forced to recognize the good pilots and for three days, XP works perfectly (and fast).

Hope it can help.

P.C.

·
Guru
1,315 Posts
...recognize the good pilots...
By pilots, I think you mean drivers.

It is interesting that it is possible to change the driver for the PC itself. I did not know this.

I was curious and tried it here on Windows 2000, and it did not show the same PC choice you described, but it was interesting anyway. I guess that might also be how to switch it to a "Standard PC", after which you would then disable the ACPI-related settings in BIOS.

-clintfan

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, Clintfan !

I mean "drivers" of course.

I started from ACPI config. If you start from normal PC setting, may be you have to reinstall XP SP1.

My computer works now for 4 days with ACPI + HT without any problem or blue screen (but I still pray every morning !).

Have a good day,

P.C.

·
Registered
37 Posts
multiprocessor

I tried what you said, because I discovered that my taskmanager didn't show 2 cpus as it should.
But I begin right from the start. As you imagine my pc crashed once again and that in the middle of an installation. So I had to repair windows. After that it recognized 2 cpus again.

Than I followed your description. But at the end windows didn’t give me the choice for multiprocessing any more. Just had the two options (normal and ACPI) the two others disappeared.

I am now starting all over again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I untersdant what you mean,

I had the floppy of new drivers and XP on the CD.
I asked to find the good driver on the floppy and had the answer "nothing for your search", but when I came back to the menu, I had the "multiprocessor" option.

I have to say to you that I installed the Intel driver before with the exe file. May be I have the reference in XP files by this operation.

P.C.

·
Registered
37 Posts
By Intel driver you certainly mean the” infinst.exe” file that updates the driver for the chipsets. I did that directly after installing XP. I heard that’s the right thing to do. Than I updated all the other drivers, every BIOS and XP. Now the system is running for 24 hours without a problem (=new record). But it needs further testing. I keep track of the problem in this threat.
I am now running on one ram stick to exclude memory problems.
If all that doesn’t work, I will replace the power supply with an Enermax 460W. My Zalman 300W may not be enough.

If all that doesn’t work I run out of options

PS: Merci pour cette astuce. Je vais te tenir au courant de mes progrès. Et informe-moi de l’état de ton système s.t.p. Est-ce qu ça marche toujours ?
Salutations

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.