Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed a P4C800-E deluxe board, currently running bios 1008, and need some help configuring the hard drives.

I have a WD 120GB SATA drive that I want to use as the primary OS drive, and then a WD 80GB IDE drive for data and whatnot.
I also have two other smaller IDE drives that I want to hook up for the time being, but will eventually be getting rid of.

Right now W2K see's the WD IDE drive as Drive 0, and the SATA as Drive 1. Is there any way to configure these drives so that W2K will see the SATA drive as Drive 0?

Thanks

·
Registered
376 Posts
You'll need to go into your BIOS and adjust the boot drives there.
Check your IDE device properties in the Main menu, and then select the Boot tab and adjust your Boot Device Priority.

You'll want your SATA drive on the Intel controller. The PATA could go on the Intel controller, although if it's for storage there are advantages to having it on the Promise PATA port in a non-RAID configuration. This board has so many options if makes my head spin.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Drive order

Hey,

I have a single SATA drive and a DVDRW, and similarly my P4C800-E Deluxe puts the SATA drive as the IDE 3 master and the DVDRW as the primary IDE master (or secondary if I plug it into the secondary socket).

ASUS assured me that it's normal, though. :| I guess just change your boot order if you want to boot from it, and that's all you can do? hm.

- Everett

·
Guru
1,315 Posts
ASUS assured me that it's normal
Correct. SATA_1 is reported as Third IDE Master, SATA_2 as Fourth IDE Master. Primary and Secondary report as you would expect. This assumes the IDE Configuration screen is set to Enhanced/ S-ATA.

Devices hanging off the Promise controller will not appear on the Main screen, but will appear in Boot- Hard Disk Drives (I think), also making them ("1st Drive", anyway) candidates for the Boot Device Priority list.

-clintfan

·
Guru
1,315 Posts
Right now W2K see's the WD IDE drive as Drive 0, and the SATA as Drive 1.
Not quite sure what you mean by "Drive 0". I assume you mean during Win2K Setup, where you are partitioning the drives? I agree the terminology Setup uses to report your physical drives, is confusing.

Is there any way to configure these drives so that W2K will see the SATA drive as Drive 0?
If I have properly guessed whay you are asking, then the easiest way to get the desired SATA_1 drive to show up in Setup as "0", is to first physically disconnect all the other Hard Drives. This is a very common thing to do around here, with both XP and 2K. Do the full Setup, then attach the remaining drives afterwards.

If you simply mean, to get it to show up first in the summary list on the BIOS setup Main screen, then the anser is No, you cannot change the display order: SATA_1 will always report as Third IDE Master, SATA_2 as Fourth IDE Master.

But that does not matter, because when it comes to the Boot screen, all your HDD's will appear in the Boot- Hard Disk Drives list. There you can choose which drives are eligible for booting, and set the rest to Disabled. Then you go into the Boot- Boot Device Priority as Mental suggested, and set the order to CD- Floppy- Hard Drive. Hit F10 to save & exit.

Incidentally, each time you add a HDD, the lists get reset to everything-present, so you have to go back in and disable and set the order all over again.

need some help configuring the hard drives. I have a WD 120GB SATA drive that I want to use as the primary OS drive, and then a WD 80GB IDE drive for data and whatnot. I also have two other smaller IDE drives that I want to hook up for the time being, but will eventually be getting rid of.
IMO you should put the 80GB on the PRI_RAID connector as Mental suggested, and set the Advanced- Onboard Devices Configuration- Onboard Promise Controller- Operating Mode to IDE.

Those extra two drives I would put on the Secondary as Master and Slave, since you plan to remove them at some point. And I would put your CDROM as Primary Master. Or you could swap these Primary/Secondary if you want, it makes little difference.

At some point I'd recommend a BIOS upgrade to 1010.

Hope this helps,

-clintfan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.