Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Greetings everyone. I just found this site and I'm excited that I may find someone who knows what I'm going through.

Let me first preface this problem with there may be a lot of other information that you need and I'm more than happy to supply it -- it's just that at this initial post, it might be hard to capture everything, so bear with me.

Ok, here goes:

System Specs

Asus P4C800-E Deluxe with v1011 bios (the latest)
1 GB Kingston HyperX PC3500 (DDR433)
P4 2.8 GHz (800 fsb)
(2) WD Raptors (36.7 GB) running RAID 0 striping
(1) WD 80 GB (7200 rpm) connected to Pri Raid (lower right-hand corner of motherboard)

Background

I'm running a RAID 0 setup as mentioned above. It's great, loving it. The 2 Raptors are connected to the SATA1 and SATA2 connectors on the board.

My objective was to add my previous HDD (80GB) to the system once everything was set up and simply use it as an F: drive to access old files from time to time.

And it does work, quite lovely actually.

Thing is, when I shut the power down, the computer for some reason does not recognize the F: drive when powering up again.
Upon entering Windows, the Hardware Wizard comes up and asks me to install the driver for a "Promise SATA Console SCSI Processor Device" -- I cancel out of that and then I must reboot while in Windows, and upon re-entry I see the F: drive.

In the Device Manager, under my 80 gig is listed as a <<model number>> SCSI Disk Device?

So my question is -- how does this get fixed.

Things I've Done

I'm using the latest driver from Asus for the Promise IDE controller v1.00.1.26 6/3/03

I've tried the FastTrak Tx2 plus drivers from Promise.com (this Tx2 plus is what shows when the bios is booting up).

I did have the 80GB HDD connected to the Pri IDE on the motherboard but was experiencing the same problem. I then moved it to the Pri Raid, and in the BIOS, enabled the Promise controller and set it to "IDE" instead of "RAID" since I'm using the Intel controller on the motherboard to run the Raptors (and yes, I did load the appropriate Intel Raid drivers when I set up XP).

And that's about it, especially since this is so long at this point, sorry about that.

I can provide more info or any answer any inquiries you might have as we go along.

Thank you for your time and any help, feedback or info is greatly appreciated.

Garbs

·
Guru
1,315 Posts
there may be a lot of other information that you need and I'm more than happy to supply it
Well, for one thing I can't tell what O/S you are running. So I have to assume Windows XP, since you've got RAID going on the Southbridge ports.

I'm using the latest driver from Asus for the Promise IDE controller v1.00.1.26 6/3/03
I also can't tell which driver you have put on. It's not all your fault. You quote the .026 version number of the Windows Server 2003 driver (the Asus site has a typo here) but quote a 6/3/03 date (your typo, which I assume you mean "6/30") which might be the Windows XP driver.

BTW, don't use drivers from the Promise website, at least not yet-- always get them through Asus.

Upon entering Windows, the Hardware Wizard comes up and asks me to install the driver for a "Promise SATA Console SCSI Processor Device"... In the Device Manager, [under] my 80 gig is listed as a <<model number>> SCSI Disk Device?
Well it isn't really SCSI, but I think Windows defines "SCSI" as any bus adapter that hangs off the PCI bus, which the Promise does.

If you are running Windows XP, and if in DM you choose View- Devices by connection, you should see the following,

PCI Bus
Intel(R)82801BA/CA PCI Bridge
WinXP Promise SATA378 (tm) IDE Controller
<mfg.> <model> SCSI Disk Device

If you view Devices by type, you will see instead, a category called:
SCSI and RAID Controllers
WinXP Promise SATA378 (tm) IDE Controller

and similarly the disk will be somewhere else and called "SCSI" even though it's not really SCSI.

So my question is -- how does this get fixed.
Well that's the million dollar question isn't it? First, I would update that driver again.

Download a fresh copy of the Promise ATA driver I linked above, and unzip it to a folder on your HDD. Then go into DM, find the Promise IDE controller in the tree, right-click it, and choose Update Driver. The Wizard will run. Choose "install from a specific location". Next. Choose "search for best driver in these locations" and (only) "Include this location in the search". Browse. Browse to the folder where you put the driver-- you must browse ALL THE WAY DOWN to the "WinXP" folder and highlight that (assuming you're using WinXP). Next. Go from there.

If it won't take the driver, you may need to delete the device first, then add it back. I've not done this in awhile, so you're sort of on your own.

One other point. I've only used the SATA on the Promise. Others have used the IDE but in RAID mode.

Be sure to visit the Promise config screens at bootup, I think you press CTRL+F when the Promise BIOS is loading. There may be some simple options in there that you need to set up.
XXXXXXX WRONG! It will only respond to CTRL+F if you have configured the Promise for RAID in the mobo BIOS.... then if no array is defined, Promise bootup will always pause and wait for either CTRL-F or ESC. I tried this and there were no useful non-RAID options in the menu to help with your problem. When Promise is configured for IDE, the "Press CTRL+F" message does not even appear. XXXXXXXXX

Btw, PC3200 memory is DDR400, not DDR433-- that's PC3500. Glad your rig is working well.

-clintfan

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Clintfan for the reply.

I apologize for the missing info, I'll try to clear some things up.

Yes, I am running Windows XP Home, fully patched.

As far as the typo is concerned, I believe it is one from the Asus Website -- they list a driver with a 6/30/03 date but when it installs it's listed as 1.00.0.26 with a date of 6/3/03.

I will try to update the driver once again per your instructions. Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
clintfan said:
Btw, PC3200 memory is DDR400, not DDR433-- that's PC3500. Glad your rig is working well.

-clintfan [/B]
And yes, you're right -- that was my mistake. I'm running PC3500 DDR433 ram.

·
Guru
1,315 Posts
Ok let me know how the update goes.
Oh & I should've noticed the O/S in your signature box. Duh.

Just checked the readme.txt for the driver I loaded on my mobo... the readme says .26 too, even though everything about the filename says .30. And driver properties against the device says 6/3/2003 and 1.0.26 just as you said. I'm positive(???) I'm running the right driver. Now we just have to check yours.

-clintfan

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, I am -- see what I mean? The release date on the Asus Website shows June 30th and a version number ending in .30 but it is clearly not that once it installs.

Mine says 1.00.0.26 and 6/3/03 -- so we know the driver is correct.

My suspicion is that this is somehow jumper related, either on the 80 gig HDD itself or somewhere on the motherboard.

I think the jumper on the HDD is set to Cable select, which I believe is not right, now that I think about it.

Does anyone know if there's a jumper on the motherboard that needs to be changed, perhaps by the Promise controller, lower right-hand side? I don't know, I'm leaping here. :rolleyes:

·
Guru
1,315 Posts
I think the jumper on the HDD is set to Cable select, which I believe is not right, now that I think about it.
Well, I try to avoid "cable select"; you know, I didn't even bring this stuff up, because it still sounds like WinXP isn't remembering about the driver for your Promise, from boot to boot.

Try it as a Dual Master (across pins 5,6) instead and make sure the cable is not backwards end-for-end. I don't trust the "single" or "cable-select" stuff, always gotta make sure what is what. On your cable, either it only has 2 connectors which are marked something like "drive" and "motherboard"; or it has 3, and the end with 2 connectors on it 6 inches apart, should be the end that goes to the drives, and the opposite end to the mobo PRI IDE. 18 inches max total cable length. And use a quality 80-conductor cable, such as came with the mobo.

mobo PRI RAID <-----------12in.-----------slave---6in.---master-> HDD

Does anyone know if there's a jumper on the motherboard that needs to be changed, perhaps by the Promise controller, lower right-hand side?
No those are for chassis intrusion, and also thermal monitoring. There are no disk-related jumpers on this mobo.

-clintfan

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
clintfan said:
Well, I try to avoid "cable select"; you know, I didn't even bring this stuff up, because it still sounds like WinXP isn't remembering about the driver for your Promise, from boot to boot.

Try it as a Dual Master (across pins 5,6) instead and make sure the cable is not backwards end-for-end. I don't trust the "single" or "cable-select" stuff, always gotta make sure what is what. On your cable, either it only has 2 connectors which are marked something like "drive" and "motherboard"; or it has 3, and the end with 2 connectors on it 6 inches apart, should be the end that goes to the drives, and the opposite end to the mobo PRI IDE. 18 inches max total cable length. And use a quality 80-conductor cable, such as came with the mobo.

mobo PRI RAID <-----------12in.-----------slave---6in.---master-> HDD

No those are for chassis intrusion, and also thermal monitoring. There are no disk-related jumpers on this mobo.

-clintfan
Excellent, thank you clintfan. Very helpful info.

My current cable is the kind which has the option for a "slave" about 6 inches away from where the "master" connects to the back of the HDD. The other end is colored "blue" which plugs into the Pri Raid connection on the motherboard.

The more I think about this, the more I'm beginning to feel that this is probably due to the jumper on the back of the HDD for this 80 gig.

I'm thinking that when the computer boots "cold" somehow the board is not seeing this drive and recognizing what it is as it boots into Windows. And of course, Windows is not familiar with what it is on that initial boot: as you recall, I get that New Hardware Wizard coming up wanting to install the "Promise SATA Console SCSI Processor Device" -- I say "no" to all of that and then it shows up in the DM as a yellow "!" under "Other Devices".

But once I reboot (a warm boot), when it comes back up, the F: drive is there, the yellow "!" is gone from DM, the 80 gig drive is listed in DM under Disk Drives with that SCSI suffix, and under Raid and SCSI controllers, both my Intel Raid controller and Promise controller are there, working properly.

So somewhere in all of this mess, the pc is understanding what this is after a warm boot, but not during a cold boot, my point being that this is more than likely a "jumper" issue on that back of that HDD.

I'm really hoping this is the case clintfan. Some excellent feedback, I really appreciate it. I'll keep you posted.

Garbs

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.