Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My motherboard will spontaneously reboot randolmly sometimes twice a day and other times not for 3 or 4 days. It has never rebooted on me while I am actually using it. The reboots are random and the debugs of the crash dump returns various causes for the failure as shown below.

I have run memtst86 on the system for 4 days with no errors reported

I send the crash to Microsoft and there analysis always comes back with unknown driver.

I have rebuilt the system twice with only the base installs and services packs.

Motherboard: Asus P4C800-E Deluxe
Memory: Corsair TWIN1024LLPT 3200 1GB
Video: Asus V9560 / FX5600
BIOS: 1011
BIOS Settings: Tried default and setting memory to 2.75V

I am not sure what to do next. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (d1)
An attempt was made to access a pageable (or completely invalid) address at an
interrupt request level (IRQL) that is too high. This is usually
caused by drivers using improper addresses.
If kernel debugger is available get stack backtrace.

Symbol search path is: srv*E:\Symbols*http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols
Executable search path is:
Windows XP Kernel Version 2600 (Service Pack 1) MP (2 procs) Free x86 compatible
Product: WinNt, suite: TerminalServer SingleUserTS
Built by: 2600.xpsp2.030422-1633
Kernel base = 0x804d4000 PsLoadedModuleList = 0x8054a230
Debug session time: Thu Oct 23 01:42:29 2003
System Uptime: 3 days 9:48:58.352
Loading Kernel Symbols

UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP_M (1000007f)
This means a trap occurred in kernel mode, and it's a trap of a kind
that the kernel isn't allowed to have/catch (bound trap) or that
is always instant death (double fault). The first number in the
bugcheck parens is the number of the trap (8 = double fault, etc)

Symbol search path is: srv*E:\Symbols*http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols
Executable search path is:
Windows XP Kernel Version 2600 (Service Pack 1) MP (2 procs) Free x86 compatible
Product: WinNt, suite: TerminalServer SingleUserTS
Built by: 2600.xpsp2.030422-1633
Kernel base = 0x804d4000 PsLoadedModuleList = 0x8054a230
Debug session time: Tue Oct 07 02:32:57 2003
System Uptime: 0 days 19:05:22.147
Loading Kernel Symbols
UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP_M (1000007f)
This means a trap occurred in kernel mode, and it's a trap of a kind
that the kernel isn't allowed to have/catch (bound trap) or that
is always instant death (double fault). The first number in the
bugcheck parens is the number of the trap (8 = double fault, etc)
Consult an Intel x86 family manual to learn more about what these
traps are. Here is a *portion* of those codes:
If kv shows a taskGate
use .tss on the part before the colon, then kv.
Else if kv shows a trapframe
use .trap on that value
Else
.trap on the appropriate frame will show where the trap was taken
(on x86, this will be the ebp that goes with the procedure KiTrap)
Endif
kb will then show the corrected stack.
Arguments:
Arg1: 00000008, EXCEPTION_DOUBLE_FAULT
Arg2: 80042000
Arg3: 00000000
Arg4: 00000000

Debugging Details:
------------------

BUGCHECK_STR: 0x1000007f_8

DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID: DRIVER_FAULT

LAST_CONTROL_TRANSFER: from 00000000 to 8052fba8

·
Guru
1,315 Posts
Start by making sure all your chipset and adapter card drivers are up to date. All of the failures sound like the sort of thing drivers can cause (I write & maintain drivers for a living). Download and install new versions if necessary. Versions that come on the install CD's and SP's are just a snapshot in time, and new fixes come out all the time.

-clintfan

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I am constantly going to the Asus site for any updates. I have the latest versions of all dirvers.

·
Guru
1,315 Posts
How about Windows Update? Have you run that, and applied all the critical updates on top of your base, plus whichever of the other updates make sense? Do you run an antivirus package? Not the PCCillin that came with the mobo-- that can make your system unstable. Also a software firewall?, since random reboots sound like how the Welchia Worm behaves.

-clintfan

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am completely up to date with the windows updates. I run Network Associates Mcafee antivirus. From looking at the crash analysis, it would be difficult to believe that a virus can generate the random failures.

·
Guru
1,315 Posts
OK, some more ideas.

For the DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, Microsoft suggests bad RAM or a damaged swap file.

What voltage are you running your Corsair RAM at? 2.75V is recommended if you are having problems; see mobo manual section 4.4.1 on how to set the DDR Reference Voltage.

Try deleting and recreating your swap file, according to the instructions for this Microsoft article, "810093: Error Message with RAM Problems or Damaged Virtual Memory Manager". It's not hard and takes a couple reboots.

MS also suggested having multiple RAID controllers could cause this problem, but it only mentioned a vendor called Mylex. Your mobo doesn't have that unless it's from an addon card.

For the UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP errors, there wasn't mich, but for one of them (leavve off the trailing "_M"), MS suggested (re)installing the XP O/S in "Standard PC" mode. I do run mine that way, but I don't think that many others do.

Both failures still sound like some sort of driver thing.

-clintfan

·
Registered
376 Posts
I've got the same memory. Is it best to set it at 2.75V? I couldn't find where to look this up.

What power supply and case do you have? What speed P4 have you got, and are you overclocking? Have you got enough cooling? Run your PC probe and let me know the temperature it normally runs at, and especially when it does its shutdown. Right now, my processor is at 36C / 96F, and I've been messing around online for eight hours straight. Our systems are designed to shut down when the temperature gets to hot in order to protect our components, so ruling out this situation would be very helpful.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am also getting bunch of random crashes, esp. when i am trying to use nero, clonecd,...
I am a noob. but is the crashes because of the dram settings?
2-3-3-6 etc? i don't even know what it means but i have set it 2-3-3-6.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.