Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I have searched and read threads, but could not find anything definitive about the best RAM to use in the 4x512 MB PC3200 configuration. I am not looking to overclock and do not care at all about the performance, timings, etc., but need something that will be stable with the P4 3.2 GHz and future 800 FSB CPUs. I would like to build two similar systems in the next month on this platform.

TIA,
EB

·
Guru
1,315 Posts
I have searched and read threads, but could not find anything definitive about the best RAM to use in the 4x512 MB PC3200 configuration.
Nobody can recommend the best, they can only tell you what works for them and whether they like it or not. Be sure to browse the approx. 10 examples in the "Working" thread, although few are specific down to the part number.

I am not looking to overclock and do not care at all about the performance, timings, etc., but need something that will be stable with the P4 3.2 GHz and future 800 FSB CPUs.
Well if you're not OC'ing, 3.2GHz is the highest 800 CPU you can go to with this mobo, there isn't any "future" beyond that. I'm not making fun, but if you mean, salvage the memory after this mobo has grown old, and use it in a different future mobo, with a future CPU, then I think by then we'll be talking about QDR 7200 or some such, and you won't want to use your PC3200. You should go for something that will be stable now.

Talk about stable, that's why I chose ECC, and I'm sold on it, especially for the memory densities we're dealing with on today's DIMM's. I've been working with it in commercial servers for decades. But on the PC I'm running 2.8GHz... as you work up to your 3.2GHZ I think you can expect memory timings will become slightly more critical. Your BIOS has facilities to allow boosting memory voltage etc. if you have trouble. Don't know if you'd notice the +12% difference between 3.2 and 2.8 GHZ... you might want to consider that. And a couple folks are successfully running PC3500.

Personally I've been happy with my Kingston #KVR400X72C3A/512 PC3200 512MB DIMM with ECC; these -C3A are slightly faster than the -C3. When using ECC you do pay an extra cycle for when the hamming bits come together to correct any errors, but IMO this won't be noticeable to you since as you say performance isn't a care. These DIMMs are in my P4C800-E Deluxe: I have 2 in there and 2 more on the shelf which I bought 2 weeks ago (er- I've dropped 'em on the floor twice, hope they're still good). They're still available, and at a good price, see the link.

Hope this helps,

-clintfan

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
clintfan said:
Nobody can recommend the best, they can only tell you what works for them and whether they like it or not. Be sure to browse the approx. 10 examples in the "Working" thread, although few are specific down to the part number.

-clintfan
Thanks. I am concerned about stability and could not find any examples in that thread for 4x512MB, only 2x512MB. If there are no good CPU upgrades in the future of that board and RAM, then I would be better off with the inexpensive RAM you suggested. In that case I would replace the the entire CPU/mainboard/RAM in about 6-8 months or whenver there is a substantial improvement.

I am not sure what the difference between the single and dual modules are, other than matched modules. If I buy all four at one time from the same vendor, then will they all be the same?

EB

·
Registered
376 Posts
All four modules of the same type and vendor should be fine, and is recommended.
I grabbed two matched pairs just to be sure, and to simplify my ordering. The advantage to the matched pairs is that they've been tested in tandem and are guaranteed to work together as a matched pair.

The memory I got is running pretty nice, although I have some beep errors at post. They're in different pitches, so I can't quite make out the message, but my guess is that it doesn't like my memory. The Corsair memory I got automatically boots up at the lowest latency possible with their "plug and frag" technology, which might be playing with the Asus settings.

I recommend matched pairs of Corsair TWINX1024-3500C2PT, which is approved by Asus.

·
Guru
1,315 Posts
I am not sure what the difference between the single and dual modules are, other than matched modules.
Not sure what you mean. You mean DIMMs sold in pairs, vs. DIMMs sold individually?

Some vendors do sell "kits" which is their term for a matched pair. This is where the vendor has supposedly spent extra time sticking pairs of memory in an evaluation rig of some kind. The timings are measured and compared, and DIMMs having identical timings are bundled together. This costs time, so you pay a little more for kits, compared to buying single DIMMs individually.

If I buy all four at one time from the same vendor, then will they all be the same?
No, I don't think it works that way. You can get pairs, but between pairs the matching might be different. You would want to use the pairs in a channel (like one pair in blue channel 1, A1-B1; the other pair in black channel 2, A2-B2). Unless you're careful, over time you might get those mixed up. I do agree with Mental about same manufacturer and product line, plus if you buy 4 at the same time, you stand a greater chance of getting DIMMs from the same manufacturer lot, or datecode; this can be good or bad.

Personally, I bought unmatched individual DIMMs and stuck them in channel A and they have been fine with the 2.8GHz CPU. I wanted ECC, and nobody made ECC "kits".

Hope this helps,

-clintfan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.