Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Friends,

I am a new member on this forum and i would like to sent my greetings to everyone.A friend of mine adviced me to visit this address concerning a problem of mine.I hope i do not post something that has already been discussed. Lets get down to the problem after the introductory section.

I have already purchased a Western Digital SATA 2 250GB 16Mb Cache HDD. My motherboard model is the Asus P4C800E-Deluxe.It has an on board SATA 1 Controller {Promise FastTrak 378} .As I already know the HDD is backward compatible and that it would work as SATA 1. I do not want to create some kind of Raid due to the fact that I have got only one SATA disk. I just want to work with SATA as it was an IDE (to be honest I have purchased it due to the 16Mb Cache :1angel: ).

The problem is that I can not alter the settings of the controller, I can not even see any settings if I press control + f during boot.

The BIOS version that I use is the latest available and I have downloaded it from Asus web site (1023 and not 1024 because it is still a beta version) and also when I have installed windows xp I have pressed F6 in order to install other devices (I have made a floppy disk before with the drivers of the controller from the cd that came with the motherboard) (Promise FastTrak 378 ATA Driver V1.00.1.26 in order SATA to work as ATA) , I have installed WIN and on device manager I see that SCSI and other Raid Controllers is working properly as well as an uninstalled hardware device ''Promise SATA Console SCSI Processor Device''.

The most important of all is that the controller is not recognized by BIOS. It loads a screen before win boots which have the following info on it: SATA378 TX2plus(tm), Bios vesion 1.00.0.33.After that there are two options:

1)When in Advanced-Onboard Devices configuration –Onboard promise controller I have the operating mode switched to IDE, I have got the following message on the screen before win boots: No device is found. BIOS is not installed.

2) When in the above settings on BIOS I switch to SATA instead of IDE I receive the following message: No drive is attached to Fasttrak controller. The Bios is not installed.

My settings on BIOS are as follows:

Onboard IDE Operate Mode= Enhanced
Enhanced Mode Support On= S-ATA
Configure S-ATA as RAID= No
IDE Detect Time Out= 35

Something more that seems weird to me is that SATA works when it is connected as single and I have installed win already but when I switch the enhanced mode support on to SATA+PATA in order to connect my 2 old PATA HDD it does not recognises PATA at all if have the operating mode switched to SATA (see above sequence) or even more when I switch operating mode to IDE it recognizes PATA as RAW and it prompts me for formatting it.

Moreover I tried through Win to install the following driver that I have downloaded also from Asus web site ''Promise FastTrak 378 ATA Driver V1.00.1.30 '', and now I get a message concerning a new hardware ''Promise SATA Console SCSI Processor Device''. I guess that the above driver is not the proper one and that’s the reason that I get this message because such a device does not exist.

What should I do now then??? I need to know what else should I try (is there a problem with the drivers or the device, or even worse am I not doing something right?). I need some help in order to get the controller working (PLEASE HELP)

Sorry for bothering you but I need your help because I definitely need my PC to get running as soon as possible.

P.S: I have contacted the place where I have bought the motherboard and HDD and they have answered me that either should I buy a new PCI controller or I have to pay 50 euros for service/maintenance which two options I can not afford at the moment.

Thank you.(Even you that you did not replied :4-thatsba :4-thatsba :4-thatsba

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
Welcome,,hope I can help.. First disable promise controller in bios.
If you are not using firewire disable the ieee 1394 controller.
Ide should be ok with the enhanced mode,,and set to s-sata, The promise
controller is used if you were in a raid array. You are not so you need to
disable it in bios. Good luck

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
@ busvarva
Welcome :smile: . I found your post a little confusing, but i will try to answer what I think you mean. It sounds like you have WindowsXP installed on the Western Digital SATA 250GB HardDriveDisc, and it is the only HDD in your system, so it is not a RAID setup, which needs two or more HDDs. You also try to add two PATA HDD to your system, but the PATA's don't have windows installed on them, the PATA drives are for data storage. Your problem is you keep trying to install the Promise drivers for the Promise controller.

If the new WD SATA 250GB HDD is being used for the operating system(windows) it is highly recommended that you attach it the 'SATA_1'(or SATA_2) connector on your MB(which operates through the Intel ICH5R southbridge controller) and NOT the 'SATA_RAID1' or 'SATA_RAID2' connectors, which are for the Promise controller.
clintfan said:
A WORD OF WARNING: I do not recommend running your O/S on the Promise chip, whether in IDE mode or not! However, the PCI controllers on these mobos are a great place to keep your long-term data storage, so consider that if you are planning a multi-drive system.

The main Southbridge chipset ports are more generally preferable for an OS install, than ports on ANY add-on controller such as Promise 2037x, SiliconImage 311x, ITE8212F, SiS180, etc.. This is because ports on the Southbridge chips do not reside on the PCI bus, but the other controllers do. The PCI expansion bus on these mobos has a throughput limit of no more than about 110MB/s, while the limit of a modern Southbridge CPU pipeline begins at over twice that. More importantly, by placing OS traffic onto PCI, you limit the available bandwidth for other PCI devices, such as Firewire, LAN, or add-on expansion cards. This can result in dropped frames and other performance problems.
Then, you can disable the Promise controller in your BIOS, which will speed boot time as the BIOS will no longer try to find Promise-connected drives. Your system will also run smoother for the reasons quoted above. Your BIOS settings you posted before were for the ICH5R controller, and they are fine.

The 'Enhanced Mode Support On= S-ATA' setting should work with your PATA drives as well. You should not have to switch to the 'SATA+PATA' setting. I would recommend getting your SATA HDD functioning correctly before adding more drives. If you add the PATA drives connected to the 'PRI_IDE_1' or 'SEC_IDE_2' connectors, those are also through the Intel ICH5R southbridge chip. You will not need any additional drivers for this setup. When you boot up, WinXP will find them and add the correct drivers. The 'PRI_RAID' connector is for PATA HDDs through the Promise controller, and will need the appropriate Promise drivers installed and BIOS settings enabled if you choose to use them. You can look at clintfan's article for instructions.

One tip I will add, I find I have to redo my boot order in BIOS every time I add a PATA HDD to my system. It seems that the ASUS bios would rather boot from PATA over SATA, and it changes the boot order in BIOS. I have to delete the IDE in the boot order(leaving just 'floppy' and 'cd-rom'), then restart(since the SATA is no longer listed) and go back into BIOS and then the SATA is listed in boot order, and I can add that as the boot drive. Funny...

Let us know if this helps.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Wish Clinfan were here!

I've seen many "issues" posted with the SATA II hard drives and the P4c800-e Deluxe. I'd like to purchase one for future use but the issues I saw people posting about spooked me. I would certainly attempt installation on the ICH5R first. Search these forums for Clintfan's posts regarding the P4c800-e Deluxe. It's a killer board but so many configuration options can make upgrades difficult. By the way both the ICH5R and the promise can be IDE or raid but the ICH5R is preferrable. Read CLINTFAN'S posts you will learn much!Good luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys

I have disabled the promise controller and and everything works great with your help.The only thing that i have to do now is to arrange the boot sequence because i have to press F8 everytime and choose sata in order to log on Windows.Great help on me guys really appreciate it.... :smile: :smile:

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
@ busvarva
hey glad you got things sorted out correctly. About that finicky boot order, are you sure you deleted the PATA drives from your boot order and saved your changes when you do the change? A simple but sometimes overlooked little thing...I didn't even mention it in my 'helpful hint' from my last post...see how easy it is to forget the simple things :smile:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.