Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just made my new comp with P4C800-E DELUXE. I have 120 gb seagate installed to the PRI_IDE and a DVD RW/CD RW into SEC_IDE. I'm pretty sure they're both set to master. So after i was done with all this, i started the comp for the first time, held down DEL and it started checking the system or something. It said "scanning ide drives" and then it said something like: No drive connected to FastTrak connector. and something else after it and then the screen changed saying that CMOS settings is wrong and for me to fix some settings. How do i start my computer and make it work?? I put the blue connector part to the blue PRI_IDE on the motherboard and the end of that ide cable(black) to the hard drive. I changed the setting on the hdd to Master. The gray connector between the blue and black connectors is not connected to anything. I did the same thing for the DVD RW except i put the connector on the SEC_IDE. PLEASEE HELP. P.S This is the first time i built a computer so im still a little confused. So please explain your answers well and go easy on the technical terms. THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!

·
Registered
207 Posts
XxKrNxStyLeZxX said:
It said "scanning ide drives" and then it said something like: No drive connected to FastTrak connector. and something else after it and then the screen changed saying that CMOS settings is wrong and for me to fix some settings.
Go into Bios and disable the Promise Controller. That will stop the "error". Actually that is not an error, it is just the motherboard trying to read a hard drive on the Raid controller and not finding anything. After you make this change, post exactly what the CMOS error says. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Heres what it exactly says.....the first screen is the Asus Motherboard thing...then it says: "Scanning IDE drives." Then thsi comes up "No drive connected to FastTrack connector. The bios is not installed". A new screen comes up with an American Megatrends or something sign at the top and it says
"CMOS Setting Wrong
CMOS Date/Time Not Set
Overclocking failed!Please enter Setup to re-configure your system.
Press F1 to Run Setup.
Press F2 to load default values and continuer"
One time i started the comp without a mouse and after that American Megatrends page this came up: "boot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key"
Someone Please Help Me With This. THANK YOU

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Javora, i didnt read yur reply and what i wrote after yurs is what it actually said. And i can't get into BIOS....i dun think...

·
Registered
207 Posts
If you see the Asus screen than you can get into Bios. Just hit the Delete key when the Asus screen come up. While your in Bios check the date and time.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it wont go into the BIOS...remember that this is my first time starting the computer...or watever so it has to check the stuff first...rite??

·
Registered
207 Posts
I have the same motherboard and I can say from experience that I could get into Bios by hitting the Delete key the very first time I started up the computer. Have you given it a try? Also what do you have connected to your motherboard and what Bios version do you have?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
heres what happense...when i turn on the computer...theres nothing on the screen...then i have to hold DEL for a few secs and that ASUS MOTHERBOARD screen comes up...i tried hitting the DEL a few times but nothing happens and it just goes into that check thing...i dunno wat version i have...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i have seagate hdd on the primary ide...lite on dvd rw on the secondary...i think they're both set to master....but one thing is that in the instructions, it said to connect blue end of the HDD cable into the PRI_IDE (which is what i did), the slave(gray) connector in the middle of the cable into the HDD itself (which isnt connected to anything for me), and the end of the HDD cable (master and black) into the master device (i put this into the HDD). I can't even put the gray connector into the hard drive and then reach the black one like 2 inches from it to the dvd rw. Someone also said that it as best to put HDD in the master primary and the optical into the master secondary....which is wat i did...i also have Saphire 9600 powered by ATI....Samsung floppy....2x 512 mb crucial ddr rams.....2.8 CGhz P4 with HT....i think thats about it

·
Registered
207 Posts
I'm not sure if it makes a difference or not but try waiting until you see the Asus screen until you hit the Delete key. Then see what happens. I had a problem with my motherboard as well at first. I couldn't load my OS until I flashed my Bios to Version 1010. Version 1011 is the latest for this motherboard now, I would recommend going to the Asus web site and down load the latest Bios and the installer program. Follow the instructions on how to update the Bios and then flash the Bios. Be very careful when you do this or your motherboard will turn into a very expensive doorstop. Hope this helps.

·
Guru
1,315 Posts
Hmmm... is your keyboard working?

Power up. Wait 1 or 2 seconds. Press the DELETE key. The POST screen should appear, with the "American Megatrends" heading as you said.

In the middle of the screen "Entering SETUP..." will appear because you presses DELETE. The screen will scroll from view and blank in about 5 seconds.

Then the Promise will scan. As you have no drives connected, it will warn you no drives were found, and not bother to load any BIOS for them (since it's not necessary). After all this completes in about 20 seconds, the BIOS setup screen should appear.

The complete output you will see should look something like I show below. Note the screen blanks after the first part.

After Setup comes up, arrow-right to the Exit screen. Arrow-down to Load Setup Defaults and hit Enter. Confirm Yes if it asks you. Then arrow-left back to Main. Arrow-down to the time and date, and type the proper values here. Then hit F10 and confirm to save and exit. This should get rid of the CMOS error.

-clintfan

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Your POST data should look something like this, note the BIOS version is on the second line (1010 in this case) and "Entering Setup" appears in the middle...

AMIBIOS (C)2003 American Megatrends, Inc.
ASUS P4C800-E ACPI BIOS Revision 1010
CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz
Speed: 2.80GHz

Entering Setup...
Press <F8> for BBS POPUP
DDS(-ECC) Frequency 400MHz, Dual-Channel, Linear Mode
Checking NVRAM...

1024 MB OK

(C)American Megatrends Inc.
63-0700-000001-00101111-060203-I875P-P4CED069-Y2KC

Auto-Detecting Pri Master..IDE Hard Disk
Auto-Detecting Sec Master..ATAPI CD-ROM
Auto-Detecting Sec Slave...ATAPI CD-ROM
Pri Master: Maxtor 6Y160P0 YAR41BW0
Ultra DMA Mode-5, S.M.A.R.T. Capable and Status OK
Sec Master: PLEXTOR CD-R PREMIUM 1.00
Ultra DMA Mode-2
Sec Slave: SONY DVD RW DRU-510A 1.0c
Ultra DMA Mode-2
Auto-Detecting USB Mass Storage Devices...
00 USB mass storage devoces found and configured.

--- the screen blanks here ---

SATA378 TX2plus(tm) BIOS Version 1.00.0.23
(C)2002-2005 Promise Technology, Inc. All rights reserved.

No drive connected to FastTrack controller.
BIOS is not installed.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i can get into the bios now...but it still scans the thing....and it says rebbot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key...how do i install xp...and exit this thing...arggh...someone help me

·
Guru
1,315 Posts
Sounds like you are on your way.

I forgot to mention to set the Boot- Boot Device Priority to CD- Floppy- Hard disk, but if it's already finding the CD, then you are in good shape.

-clintfan

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
its installing xp rite now...reaaallly slow...but dun care at least its working...after wasting 2hours all because the stupid keyboard was in the wrong place...arggh...anyways thank you alll

·
Registered
1 Posts
BUT wait I have the same problem but when I installed the windows xp disk and the computer rebooted it found everything okay until it was looking for something and it came up not found then it wanted the proper boot device or boot media!! its crazy for what turned out to be a quick re-install of XP has turned in to a disaster WHAT DO I DO!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.