Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Last night I noticed that my Western Digital 80GB hard drive (WD800JB) would only show up on the Primary Slave IDE device. At first I thought the motherboard took the big vacation like so many seem to be doing around here. But this morning I switched the DVD/CD-RW that was on the Secondary Master with the hard drive. After making the switch, I turned on the system and went into Bios. I noticed that the CD/DVD was showing up as the Primary Master and the hard drive was showing up as the Secondary Slave.

This made me think that I needed to change the ribbon cable to see if the cable I was using went bad. After switching the cable with another one out of the box. I turned on the system and received the same results with the new ribbon cable. I'm a little stumped at this point, and would very much appreciate any advice anyone might offer. I posted this in the motherboard forum only because of the nature of these motherboards. Although I must say that I am starting to suspect my hard drive at this point. BTW the hard drive in question seems to work fine other than what I have described above. Thanks in advance.

Gee I guess I have to take my specs off the “working” thread now huh??!? :rolleyes: :no: :rolleyes:

Edit: I'm going to check the Western Digital web site. I'm starting to wonder if I have the jumper on the back in the wrong position. Gosh I hope I'm not that dumb!!?! :upset: :D :upset:

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Yes people it's official, I am that dumb. :rolleyes: :D I had the P-ATA hard drive set to slave. In fact now I remember why I did it. I didn't want a conflict with the S-ATA hard drive. Question now is can I set the P-ATA hard drive to master without causing a conflict with the S-ATA hard drive? Again thanks in advance for any response.

Moderator: Go a head and move this to the hard drive forum since I have ruled out the motherboard. Thank you. (Besides someone else might need a good laugh. :D )

·
Guru
1,315 Posts
Glad you figured it out Javora, and no there will never be any conflicts between PATA and SATA, at least not running WinXP. That goes for the Promise ports too.

"Bus Mastering" --probably what you were thinking of-- is not the same thing as the "Master" on an IDE/ATA bus that also has a "Slave"; an unfortunate re-use of terms, which we now have to live with.

-clintfan

(Just a little note while travelling, but hey I didn't know this place would have a computer! Dialup, but it works.)

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Clintfan. I'm running Win2000 but that shouldn't make a difference here. And your right "Bus Mastering" was what I was thinking of. Thanks again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.