Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys this is gonna be my 1st post so hope it goes good.

im building a new comp with the following specs

Asus p4c800-e deluxe
P4 2.6c
512ddr3200 corsair
Wd Raptor 36gb
MSI Fx 5900 128mb
420watt PSU

I put everything together and i go to press the power on button and nothing happens...?? :upset:
I carefully made sure the connections for the power button to the mobo was good and from what i kno it seems ok. I spent about an hour messin wit the lil wires for the power button and still i have no luck. If anyone has any ideas on why its not turning on plz responde ASAP (I NEED MY GAMING COMP!)
(If you can get info on how the lil wires r connected link it or somthing, thx) :winkgrin:

·
Guru
1,315 Posts
I wrote this up for an article about 3 weeks ago but saw no reason to post it. Maybe I'll do it later, but for now I'll just put it here.

The header shown is the System Panel connector at the bottom right corner of the mobo. The header is 2 rows of pins; top row of the header is shown as top on this diagram. You can see the power switch coming into the middle part at the bottom. On this case, the wires in the flat cable come as pairs, each color paired with a white, except the speaker which is paired with a black. It only took a little bit of criss-crossing to get everything to attach.

This is indeed for a P4C800-E Deluxe, but the wire colors are for a Lian-Li PC60 case, and will probably not be the same as the colors for your case.

(note: this is not "code", just a way to get a non-proportional font,
also note smilies are disabled in this post)

Code:
    POWER LED                  SPEAKER
    |       |               |           |
  Green - White            Red        Black
    |:::x:::|               |:::x:::x:::|
    V   V   V               V   V   V   V

+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+
  | + |   | - |   |   |   |+5V|gnd|gnd|Spk|
  |   | x |   | x | x | x |   |   |   |   |
  |   |   | x |   |   |   |   | x |   |   |
  | + | - |   |   |   | P |gnd|   | R |gnd|

^   ^               ^   ^       ^   ^
    |:::|               |:::|       |:::|
    |   |               |   |       |   |
Orange-White          Grey-White  Blue-White
 H.D.D. LED            POWER SW    RESET SW

Flat cable:

^   ^   ^   ^   ^   ^   ^   ^   ^   ^
 |   |   |   |   |   |   |   |   |   |
Red  | Orange| Green |  Blue | Grey  |
 | Black | White | White | White | White
If you think the power switch is bad, you could test that hypothesis by carefully shorting between the two pins (and only those two: the P pin and the ground pin to its right) with a screwdriver, to see if the power comes on.

Hope this helps,

-clintfan

·
Registered
376 Posts
Flip the power switch on the back of your case to the "On" position.

(I initially forgot to do this, so perhaps others forget this as well.)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Still no Luck

hey, I reconnected all the wires from the power button. now that thats done i plugged the power into the wall and i hear a sharp sound and it just a steady sharp sound either comming from the power supply or the mother board, now while typing this i attempted to use a diff power supply an antec 350watt and the power supply keeps ticking. Hopefully you kno whats goin on cuz i dont...:upset:

some of my friends are tellin me my mobo may be shortted out i dunno??...

·
Guru
1,315 Posts
i plugged the power into the wall and i hear a sharp sound and it just a steady sharp sound either comming from the power supply or the mother board
These are switching power supplies. If that "sharp sound" is like a squeal, you are hearing the sound of the oscillators in the supply straining to produce the current requested by the mobo.

Either the supply is underpowered for the mobo, or the input voltage selector switch is set wrong (supply may be fried now), or as you said you have a short. With the P4C800-E Deluxe, your supply ought to be over 400W, and it absolutely MUST be ATX12V compatible-- you cannot just try a straight ATX supply. I use Antec True480 and it is really very good.

some of my friends are tellin me my mobo may be shortted out i dunno??...
I think a short is unlikely, unless the hardware used to mount the mobo to the case was too big. A mobo with an interplane short should, in theory, never get off the production line.

i attempted to use a diff power supply an antec 350watt and the power supply keeps ticking.
Tick-tick-tick is similar to the problem you get from a monitor when its supply has failed. Your other supply might be underpowered, but this one sounds like it was already failed.

-clintfan

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks man

thanks man i sent back my mobo as rma i should get a new one back soon i hope i was right about the short.... cuz i really dont feel like buying a new power supply

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.